• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it too late to tame our rabbits?

BluBun

New Kit
I have done everything wrong!
:oops:
We bought two young Netherland Dwarf rabbits as babies. I was assured that they had been handled daily, and was advised to leave them to settle in their shed for a day or so once we got them home. But by the time I went and sat with them, they had become very very wary. I left them some more...until of cours, they are now terrified of being handle, we cannot pick them up without having to chase and catch them, let alone stroke them.

I don't want to frighten them so keep handlin to minimum - and now I am the evil predator who catches them, puts them in a terrifying box and car, until they are subjected to yet more terrifying procedures at the vets!

They are now about 20 months.

How can i make friends with them?

(I know...we shouldn't have bought nervy temperamental Netherland Dwarfs...I had been told Dutch rabbits were laid back...and in my extreme ignirance, thought that Netherland Dwarfs were Dutch....but they are very sweet and pretty!)

the breed make no differance to be honest granted i prefere dutches but they can either be very nippy or very loving, buns are not designed to be picked up all the time,most buns just prefere to sit with you for a nose rubs or jump over you. it all depends on how you are and how they there were before they came to you, if you are nervous of picking them up they will know it, you need to be confident, talk to them, sit with them outside the cage encourge small treats to be taken from you hand so they can build up trust,

was this a breeder you got them from ?
or private?
any very small children around or other pets
a good breeder would be able to tell correctly how they were before they got to you
a private one you never really know they could just be telling you this to make a better sale,

so my advise is time and lots of it. its an important thing handling is required but not to the point where you only just handle them for checks and vets, if you have a run big enough you can sit in it with them an wait for them to come to you, id start very slowly from the beggining youare new to them but done correctly they will warm to you, they may still not liked to be picked up but will come to you for nose rubs or sit by you so they have you trust

Stop picking them up unless it's absolutely necessary. Stop chasing them - they are learning you are scary. Let buns come to you for food & treats. Don't make sudden movements. They will slowly get used to you & start to trust you - it doesn't matter how old they are. Be really patient. Spaying/neutering will get rid of hormonal issues.

I pet carrier trained Calel - he's a biter. Him & Treacle get fed pellets in a pet carrier daily. When I want them outside or indoors, they go in the carrier willingly & I'm no longer the great scary beast hurtling around the garden after them.:)

I have only been picking them up when I need to take them to the vet, or brush them or check them over....but it has been impossible to catch them without chasing.
I will try sitting in the shed with them more. And the pet carrier thing. Though they don't seem to like many treats - will only eat pellets, hay, grass and leaves from plum or apple tree!

Thanks!

Yes it's something you have to do slowly. Just sitting with them for a while is good (take a book with you because they will just hide at first :lol:) Eventually one of them will come out and gradually get closer to you.

I've used rabbit crunchers from the Supreme Pet Foods people to get mine to take treats from my hand (albeit through the bars of my run).

You need to stop being the bad guy and get associated with good things :D

As above, you need to let them explore you so they're in control rather than you chasing them and forcing contact.

I would suggest feeding anything that's not hay by hand. To start with, sit next to the food bowl at feeding time. Don't do anything or try and touch them just sit there and totally ignore them. Depending how nervous they are you may need to start by sitting several feet away and move closer gradually over a week or two. When they are treating you like the furniture (totally ignoring your there) then put the food bowl on your lap, then move to hand feeding them their pellets. They should start coming up to you then to get them. You can start touching once they are happy to feed from your hand. No picking up just run you hand down their backs and stop when they hop away (which they'll probably do at first). When they stop moving away you can stoke them more. Once they enjoy that, then you can start thinking about picking them up :D

Tamsin

Hi there.

Fistly I have to admit that my nethie is completely bonkers and not really a people person but she is also a greedy litle madam and will do anything for a pellet.

I sit on the floor and hand feed my buns their breakfast of pellets and they usually have to come and sit on the sofa for their veggi tea. this usually means I get some lap time and stokes in at least once a day. I started off by just sitting in the room with her, then scattered pellets all around me. If you keep still they will eventually come out and have a munch. Over the next couple of days scatter the pellets closer to you. Next put some on your hand and hold it away from you. Once they start eating from your hand start bringing it closer to you until eventually they will hop on your lap.

Rosie still runs and hides when she thinks I'm going to pick her up (I don't know how but she seems to have a sixth sense). I have a little cardboard box with the ends cut off that I pop over her & can then scoop her up. It is faster and less stressful than chasing her round the room. When I've got her again lots of food rewards and she'll eat in my arms. When I put her down again....lots of food again and praise. I generally hold her with her paws facing my chest and head under my chin or head close to the crook of my arm, cradled in my arms. Gradually she is getting more easy to handle.

When I first had Blue I sat for HOURS in the kitchen just letting him decide about me. Id take the advice with the book!! Although he seemed more interested in the book than me. Take a cushion too....I ended up with a seriously numb bum! It will take time and effort but its worth it in the end.
Good luck!
xx

Back