• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny fitness

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Alyssa is overweight in the sense she is quite fat... we haven't weighed her but will be doing when we take her to vets for her injections...

we know she will need to diet, so how best to do it?

she is a hay eater and likes spring green so no worries there x

Perhaps you should just feed her loads of veg and hay as they don't have a lot of fat in them and reduce the amount of pellets you feed her. My rabbits get a set amount of pellets everyday which they eat up straight away, but they get as much veg and hay as they want otherwise. Talk to your vet about the amount of pellets she should be eating daily for her size. I'm sure you can get lighter (low fat) pellets also which would be good if you didnt want to reduce the quantity you feed her. Hope this helps :D

Reduce the amount of pellets she has and I think carrots are quite high in calories so not to many of them. Hide her food or use a treat ball to get her moving.

she was pretty much on unlimited before today.... was thinking 6 ss morning and night?

Is this because she is young? :) I dont really want to advise to cut down if you shouldnt because im really not sure if its right or not :oops: Loads of people say feed unlimited and then loads of other people say not too so ive no idea

Maybe make a game out of feeding them? Hide them in her hay or stuff them in willow balls so she has to work at getting them out x

shes not young, shes around 2 years old... she was abandoned in student halls :shock:

my three are all a steady weight so just trynna get her a nice weight x

I would seriously reduce her pellets - mine only have a few a day - cept for a couple. As long as they have hay & varied veg they will be ok - my NZ white tends to be a bit tubby. A treat ball worked for him cos he had to move about to get food:D

If I gave mine unlimited pellets, they'd eat those and nothing else, and they'd need a diet too. I give about 20 each in the morning.

Yes watch the veg cos some, like carrots, is high in starch so fattening. Exercise and lots of it. Make her work for the food by searching.
Looks down at self - I can talk!:lol::lol:

Ask vet to check its not something else causing the swelling though before starting the fitness regime.

its not swelling, she is heavy.

ive only had her since yesterday so want her to get into a routine at the minute x

Back