• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed - things to think about before next vet trip

Just been to teh vet for Gregory to get his VHD jab. I mentioned that he had been drinking and weeing rather more than usual.

She felt his bladder which she said felt fine - if EC is causing bladder troubles it would probably feel funny she said.

She weighed him and he was 2.1kg which she was ok - this means he shoudl drink around 100mls of water a day - he's been drinking up to 300mls.

She said she could check for EC and other kidney troubles, but because of his temprement (he's a bit jumpy and doesn't like being handled), he would have to be asleep for them to take a blood sample as there is no way he would let them stretch his neck out for long enough when awake.

I have to take him back for his myxi in 2 weeks and consider this in the meantime - or go back if he shows any other signs of EC.

Any advice gratefully received!

Before you do that, have you considered his diet?

If it's all pellets & hay then no wonder he's drinking so much as they're very dry! Try slowly adding some "wet" veg, like romaine, cucumber, celery & see if this has him drinking less :wave:

pearl has always drunk a lot more water than Alvin.. if its his normal amount maybe its just what he drinks? she eats more hay so i assume the dryness of the hay is whay makes her drink more... i would say she has about 150mls but thats with wet veg every morning... so prob about 200-250ml in reality... and the house is warm too so that would make her drink more than the normal outdoor bunnies that the statistics are probably based on :D

is it a recent increase in water drinking?

Thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate any advice as I have no idea what I'm doing!

Well on eof the problems I have with him is that he won't eat hay. I have gradually been bringing down teh amount of pellets I give him, from a large handful a day to just under a handful. I have bought a smapler pack of hays from the hay experts and he in munching on the dried grass much mor ethan he ever did hay but still not loads, and he has between one and 2 handfuls of veg a day - so I can't think it's his diet that's too dry?

Just checked his water, and he's had 50mls while I've been out - from 7pm til 9pm! That's on top of 150mls he's had since 10am this morning!

Thanks foxyfaerie - He is indoors yes - it's a warm flat as it's upstairs in the middle I rarely need the heating on. But it has been really cold and rainy here today and I have had the patio style windows open most of teh day to let air through/let out bunny smells etc! I did wonder about teh temp, but it's not warm at all - I have a cardie on!

Do you have any widows you could leave on the latch (not open, but not closed), this may help him some as he is wearing a fur coat after all :lol:

Perhaps also giving him a frozen bottle to confirm/deny that the drinking is due to heat; if he is warm he will go to sit beside it. This sounds mad but I often find my three jostling for space on their cold tiles in the middle of a freezing cold day when the heating's been off for hours! :lol:

Ok I will give that a go in the morning! Thank you for that suggestion! I'll do anything to make sure I've checked all options before having his bloods done. Anyone ever had their bunny sedated for a blood test before?

Back