• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How does a bond with a rabbit compare to that, say of a cat/human?

senatorvass

Warren Scout
Hi! :wave: I have had 2 bunnies for about a month now. We are really settling in well and so happy I am even adopting 2 more! I love them so much. :love: We also have two cats who we've had for almost 10 years.

I was just wondering from those more experienced with rabbits - how do you end up bonding with them? My husband thinks you probably wont be able to get as close to them as you could a cat or a dog but he is keeping an open mind. He loves them, just doesnt feel he has "conversations" with them. So tell me, what is a good rabbit/human relationship? How do you interact? Do they pine without you if you go on holiday? Do they love you back? What is the emotional side of a bunny relationship?

We are thrilled with them regardless, just curious what is in the future for us! :)

I have 7 cats and the bond between us is much more different than it is to the buns. Cats will like to interact with you to get what they want. Buns won't they just expect it! :lol:

Most buns aren't cuddly bunnies. Charlie has always been independent he only ever wanted to be close to me when his brother died but once Mocha arrived he went back to being grumpy. Mocha will accept a nose rub and is friendly but they are much better together. Peppa was super friendly until her spay, think she hasn't got over the shock of it yet. Once she has a husbun I'll go back to be the one looking in at their bond. I have no idea what makes bunnies so appealing but they are addictive and I love them. So don't expect too much and appreicate what interaction you do get. :D

I have a much closer relationship with my buns than I ever imagined...I only got my first two cos they were homeless and felt sorry for them but ended up spending all my free time sitting with them and not if anybun is away I can't settle.

Ive had cats but feel less of a bond with them because theyre very independent whereas the buns are like newborn babies (only furrier) in that they can't look after themselves in the slightest.

Our cat sits for hours next to you, on you/your laptop. Our buns don't. On the other hand come in with food and they'll be all over you! Clean out their hutch and they jump on the back of my legs when I'm on my knees cleaning. Get the hoover out and Chocolate comes over to investigate.

It varies a lot from bun to bun. My first bun follwed me round the house. We did a lot of mutual grooming - I'd stroke her, she'd lick me... - that didn't change even once she had a husbun. She wouldn't stand for being picked up though.

Since they are prey animals "AM I DINNER?" is crossing their minds pretty frequently. IF they get past this fear then they are intensely curious creatures. My french lops had broken into an area I don't want them to be this morning and while I was trying to strengthen the barricade they were jumping all round me trying to figure out what I was up to (it can be hard work to keep one step ahead of a determined bunny!)

OUt of our 7 bunnies, 3 like being stroked, one likes being picked up and cuddled, and 2 keep out of our way 1 bites a lot or tries to when I need to handle him.

We get most of our pleasure from watching their antics rather than them relating directly to us. They have vivid body language which you can learn to interpret from guess work and from checking some websites which explain it .

We relate to them differently from cats or dogs but have a distinctive relationship with each one as they have such different personalities and preferences.

I feel ive a stronger bond with each of my buns than I do with my cat, I love them all to bits and would do anything for my cat but I am closer to the buns. My cat is very independant though :lol: x

Back