• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Omg...she had the babies...theres 10!!!

**lexi**

Warren Scout
I just went to check on phoebe and found a LOT of babies wriggling around in a the nest :shock:
Theres loads...not sure how many yet and dont know if she has finished giving birth yet...im just leaving her alone to get on with it and will check later on.
I really hope she's done :shock:
Is it normal for them to deliver in the middle of the day??? i thought they mainly delivered at night.:?

Last edited:
I had the same with a litter of guinea pigs once, but there were no problems with them because of it. Any idea on numbers yet? How's Phoebe holding up?

They will deliver whenever they are ready to, most people say at night but one of my rescues gave birth in the middle of the afternoon.
Let her get on with it and they shoul;d be fine:D

I had the same with a litter of guinea pigs once, but there were no problems with them because of it. Any idea on numbers yet? How's Phoebe holding up?

Ok i just has a sneaky look and counted 10 :shock:
There could be more....phoebe seems fine...she's already eating so i assume she's finnished and theres no more to come,thank goodness!
I will check them later and to a proper head count :?

You should prepare yourself that they may not all live - after all shes only got 8 teats......

I've known does rear this many so hopefully they'll be fine but its something you should prepare yourself for.

Make sure she is getting plenty of calcium, either via green leafy veg or by a calcium supplement like calcivet - she'll be needing a lot of calcium to produce that amount of milk.

You should prepare yourself that they may not all live - after all shes only got 8 teats......

I've known does rear this many so hopefully they'll be fine but its something you should prepare yourself for.

Make sure she is getting plenty of calcium, either via green leafy veg or by a calcium supplement like calcivet - she'll be needing a lot of calcium to produce that amount of milk.

There is deffinitly 10 babies,i just double checked,they are all alive so far and mum seems to be doing well...i will go and get her a calcium supplement later on today and if in the event that she rejects some,would it be worth trying to hand rear them? if so what would i need to get?

Hand reared ones often die, so it's best to leave Mum to it - although you could supplement their feeds. I got kitty milk from my vets with my free ad litter:D

good grief thats alot of babies!!!!:shock:just let her get on with things n shell be fine.plenty of spring greens n hay for mum.xx

congrats to mum!

I would definitely just leave her to it, just do a head count each day and remove any that may have died. Touch wood they will all be fine.

In the event that some are rejected it is your choice as to hand rear them or not, lets hope it doesn't come to that though. Hand rearing has very low success rates and especially at this young age. Your best bet would be to look for a another bunny mother that has given birth recently. Although this an only be done before a certain age.

Their are some milk supplements that can be used although the best would be that which is prescribed by the vet.

i'm sure a breeder will be of more use than I have been, I'm sure she will make a great bunny mum!

Poor bunny, that's a lot of babies for her, where did she come from? did you rescue her or are you fostering?

:shock: wow that is lot, shes got her work cut out, all you can do is make sure she is well fed so she can keep her strength up, to be able to feed them, fingers crossed for them biggles was from a litter of nine and he was classed as the runt, 4 and half years on hes still here with no (touch wood ) health problems at all

Poor bunny, that's a lot of babies for her, where did she come from? did you rescue her or are you fostering?

hi,i got her from freecycle last week...i didnt know she may be pregnant until i went to pick her up...so after much talking with my o/h we decided it was in hers and the babies best interest that we take her....now i have the huge task of rehoming 10 bunnies :shock:
Fingers crossed they all survive!

Our doe had ten and i must admit I did a head count morning and evening. After a few days two or so of the kits were looking underfed so we supplemented mumbuns milk with kitten milk with avipro added. All of the baby buns survived though the real runt, Picollo is the one that has leukemia now :? no idea if its related.
We were very lucky as our mumbun Tamlin was really soppy when pregnant and when she'd had them so i think thats partly why we got away with the amount of intervention that we did.
Good luck with the little bundles! x x

freecycle!?!?, mine would not let me put fish on mine

you obviously have your work cut out, but good luck and hope all the littleones grow into big ones!

hi,i got her from freecycle last week...i didnt know she may be pregnant until i went to pick her up...so after much talking with my o/h we decided it was in hers and the babies best interest that we take her....now i have the huge task of rehoming 10 bunnies :shock:
Fingers crossed they all survive!

Oh crikey, well done for getting her, good luck with all the babies, I just can't help feeling sorry for mummy.......I mean 10!! flipping heck that's a lot of babies

Back