• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Post neutering behaviour

Hi:wave:

Sorry another long message - but I hope someone can re-assure me.

Eric and Ernie were neutered 2 weeks ago.
I was so looking forward to it, for their sakes and I was hoping it would calm them down a bit.

In fact for Eric (who was the fiestier of the 2) it has. He still doesn't like being handled particularly, but he does look so much more relaxed.

But for My dear little Ernie, it has had a devestating effect.:cry::cry::cry::cry:

He is so scared of everything. i used to be able to approach him and take photos and he would sit and pose and I could cuddle him and he would relish the attention.

Now he just runs away and nips me constantly when I hold him, so that I will put him down!!!

I am so upset, for both of us, but more for him, because he is living his life in "fear". He doesn'f often flop down like he used to.

I am wondering if he doesn't trust me anymore???
I was always the one who handled him, even when he had his Myxi and VHd Jabs, I held him.
But when he went to be neutered I just handed the carrier over to the nurse and she took him.

I had warned the vets that Eric was the fiesty one and Ernie quiet, but when I collected them, they said Ernie was kicking etc. I was so shocked - he was the gentler one!!!

Do you think Ernie has been traumertised and now doesn't trust me anymore???:cry::cry::cry::cry:

If so, how can I rebuild his trust?? Or is it just that his hormones are still raging?

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

when Blossom hurt her leg we had to go back to the vets every week for rebandaging & she would scream & cry while we were there & I was mortified.
I was holding her so then she'd hate me when we were home. :(

She was always so cuddly like a baby, but going to the vets had turned her against me. In the end we had her leg amputated & it took a little while for her to realise I wasn't taking her to the vets every time I came to her, but now she's back to her old self again & is very snuggly!:D

Anyways! ....I would think if you keep going he will come round like she did I hope x

(i hope that all makes sense??!!!)

Have you tried hand feeding him to get his trust? If he can associate you with good things (food!) then that might help to smoothe over the relationship?

Hello

Yes I have tried sitting on the floor and he will come and grab food, but won't hang around for long.
Usually I have a liitle stroke or he will put his front paws on me. But nothing at all now.
It's almost as if someone/something has really scared him.

I just can't understand why all of a sudden he doesn't want me to approach him.

Do you think there could be an underlying problem?

I don't believe he is ill - he eats, drinks and poos as normal.

We do have a very noisy area where we live, you know, cars, children playing, dustbins moved on bin day etc, but nothing new.

My poor little Ernie is soooooooooooooo afraid!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
and I son't know how to help him.

I know bunnies can really be sulky can't they? I'd be sure that he will forgive you - give him some more time, try just sitting near by to him and not interacting at all - let him come to you before you reach out to him?

He will soon get over his manly issues! But let him take his own time.

Thank you for repsonding.

I took him and his brother for a check up last night and everything is fine (thank goodness), so I guess I just have to be patient and hope he comes round again!!!

Trust takes time to build up - you can't force it. Two weeks after neuter is nothing. He's just been through a very traumatic experience & his hormones are still raging.

It has taken me a year to gain some of my bun's trust

Back