• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jingling keys = spooked bunny

AnyBunny

Warren Scout
Last night, I put my door keys back in my bag and they jingled. Pineapple sat bolt upright in the litter tray, obviously spooked. John was surprised and said his keys had never had that effect on her. Just to prove it he pulled them out - and they jingled.

Pineapple shot out of the litter tray like a cat out of a spindrier and in her panic she kicked the rim off the litter tray and most of its contents ended up on the floor. She took off round the room, Peppercorn joined her and between them they knocked over a box of hay and sent John's glass and bottle of beer flying.

Pineapple ended up on the bed, bolt upright and obviously petrified. She remained in the fight or flight posture for about half an hour, every little sound making her turn her head or spin to face the sound, and every minute or so she attacked the duvet. I picked her up a number of times to try to calm her down and each time she was inwardly vibrating, like a guinea pig's silent "tribble", though not visibly shaking. It was almost an hour before she returned to normal and forgot about it.

Peppercorn calmed down immediately after he stopped running, and just flopped as he usually does, though his ears were up and alert for quite a while.

Anyone else had this reaction to keys or other jingly things?

It's not my rabbits but my dog and it's with my cockatiels!I've had them years and longer than the dog who i've had 4 years and just recently, past 6 months or so she starts trembling and trying to hide sometimes when the cockatiel is sqwacking but not all the time,it's really weird.She sometimes climbs all over myself or hubby which really hurts.Sometimes i've got to put her in the kitchen with the rabbits who seem to calm her down :shock::lol: maybe she thinks they will protect her.It;s really weird as she doesn't do it all the time.The birds have never hurt her in any way she'll jump up to see them when they are sitting on top of the cage when their out to say hi.Its soooooooooooooo weird. x

Back