• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How many Buns have reacted to the VHD jab?

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
i was just wondering how many of you have buns that have gotten sores on thier backs after the VHD jab... pearl has got two very sore patches on her back right next to each other which werent there before the jab.

how many have reacted this way? how long will they last for (ste is gonna phone the vets at 9am to get her seen hopefully today)

her eating pooping weeing and playing have not been affected and chances are if she wasnt white we may not even noticed :oops:

what are the chances of it happening each year :cry::cry:

Because of the oil base of the vaccine great care needs to be taken when administering it to minimise the risk of a nasty skin reaction. Steps that can be taken are:

1 Use a different needle to administer the vaccine from the one used to draw it up.

2 Make sure the needle goes deep into the scruff inject left or right of centre.

3 Massage the site of vaccination for 2-3 minutes after administering it to disperse as much of the vaccine as possible.

Unfortunately once a skin reaction occurs it can take several weeks to fully heal. It often gets worse before it gets better. It is best not to put any topical treatment on it. Some systemic Metacam will help with the inflammation and discomfort. It is important to keep a close eye on the wound to make sure it does not become infected. In my experience this has not happened but that does not mean it cant.

As to whether a similar reaction will occur next year, well it might but if the above steps are taken hopefully it wont.

:)

of those steps the only ones he didnt do was the changing needle. shes due a myxi jab in sept.. will that have to be put on hold do you think?

one has scabbed already but the 2nd one had blood last night :( poor little angel she hates the vets too

of those steps the only ones he didnt do was the changing needle. shes due a myxi jab in sept.. will that have to be put on hold do you think?

one has scabbed already but the 2nd one had blood last night :( poor little angel she hates the vets too

I doubt the Myxo vacc will need to be postponed. I would tell the Vet what has happened so as Vet can make a note of it on Pearl's records

I doubt the Myxo vacc will need to be postponed. I would tell the Vet what has happened so as Vet can make a note of it on Pearl's records

stes gonna get her in today or tomorrow so he can see for himself the state of her back...i was reading last night and a few websites said the reaction is a good thing first time around but they never said anything about getting sores :? just that it can be itchy...
both are dry and scabbed right now :)
cheers for your advice Jane :wave:

stes gonna get her in today or tomorrow so he can see for himself the state of her back...i was reading last night and a few websites said the reaction is a good thing first time around but they never said anything about getting sores :? just that it can be itchy...
both are dry and scabbed right now :)
cheers for your advice Jane :wave:

One of my Buns had a dreadful skin reaction and all his back blistered :shock: :(

He never had a bad reaction again though :?

To be honest ive never taken much notice of what injection causes it but sometimes a scab appeared after either VHD or Myxy but it soon cleared up and it was no big deal,nothing that would stop me having it done.Also was told 1of the jabs makes them quite drowsy after but dont know which 1that is as its never had that effect on B anyway.So no adverse reactions in this household[touching a very large piece of wood!!!!!]!

To be honest ive never taken much notice of what injection causes it but sometimes a scab appeared after either VHD or Myxy but it soon cleared up and it was no big deal,nothing that would stop me having it done.Also was told 1of the jabs makes them quite drowsy after but dont know which 1that is as its never had that effect on B anyway.So no adverse reactions in this household[touching a very large piece of wood!!!!!]!

i wasnt too worried when i saw the first one, i was just gonna keep my eye on it and mention it when we went for the mxyi jab. but last night i spotted a bigger and angrier one right next to the first one which was bleeding so panic mode kicked in :oops: i think i just need the vet to tell me its quite common and theres nothing to worry about :oops: and i guess with her beautiful white fur itll look worse than it is.

shes in at 6 tonight just to be sure :D:D

ouch Jane that must have been terrifying to witness :shock::shock:

its not a bad reaction. no puss, no pain, no more blood, and no lumps... vet gave me antibiotics and we will see if she reacts next year before he looks at alternatives just to be sure it is the vaccine and not a fight she had with Alvin (they dont fight lol)

im to bathe her back with warm salt water until its healed.

he did say next year i will have to massage her back on and off all evening just incase..

im so releived it dont look like she will be gettin the evil blisters ive been lookin at on google all day :oops::oops::lol::lol:

he also said becuase its a well known reaction there was no need for it to be reported....nice to be worned :lol::lol:

and he didnt charge me for the consultation.... i luv him :love::oops:

Aww well I hope Pearl gets better soon Donna - Gregory had his VHD today and no scabs or owt but he has been very quite and withdrawn! Think that's the trauma of goin to the vets though rather than the jab itself. He had lapinject - which did Pearl have? Maybe they could try the other one next time if it causes her to react?

Aww well I hope Pearl gets better soon Donna - Gregory had his VHD today and no scabs or owt but he has been very quite and withdrawn! Think that's the trauma of goin to the vets though rather than the jab itself. He had lapinject - which did Pearl have? Maybe they could try the other one next time if it causes her to react?

she had cyclap... looks like a drowned bunny on her back where i attacked her with salty water :lol::lol::lol:

not surprised they are both in hiding tonight tho :(

Honey reacted the first time she had her VHD jab by not eating, sneezing and sitting hunched up. The second time wasn't so bad but she wouldn't eat for a while afterwards I had to hand feed her and give her probiotic. She didn't have any sores though.

Honey reacted the first time she had her VHD jab by not eating, sneezing and sitting hunched up. The second time wasn't so bad but she wouldn't eat for a while afterwards I had to hand feed her and give her probiotic. She didn't have any sores though.

i was expectin off food and a limp cus thats just my luck really... sores i did not expect.... poor little baby has been spoiled with carroty treats today :love::love:

Domino got a touch of the snuffles after his first and ended up on baytril, but think taht was nerves as he tried to run away from teh vet :oops:

biggles reacted twice to his myxi jabs had a lump the size of an egg which took 3 months to go completely, and for a week after he was not himself kept eating etc but just not my bigs, i just cleaned the sore with saline and put a teeny bit of oil on the sore to prevent him scratching it as it dried out and tightened during healing. it is rare as all the other buns ive had have been fine

my first bun to have it got a small sore on his back...I now go to a more rabbit savy vet who recomends massaging the area three or 4 times for a few minutes in 24 hours after the jab. We are now scab free.

My Buster was OK, but my nethie Sooty was very quiet and off his food for a couple of days, he also kept weeing himself :( He picked up by the third day.

I must say, Gregory is very quiet, and has been sitting in his hutch all day today rather than bounding around as usual, or at least sleeping on the dining room chairs. He's eating and drinking though so not too worried.

salt water is working a treat the scabs are lovely an dry and no sign of infection whoooop whoooop whoooop :D

i guess on the scale of evil death or a couple of scabs once a year it wasnt really anything i should of paniced over :oops::oops::oops:

Back