• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bond now or wait?

mintygit

New Kit
Hi

Bit of a sad story this one.

Went to our local RSPCA to adopt two rabbits and picked two bonded rabbits we liked, one male and one female. We bought the RSPCA recommended hutch and run also so they allowed to take the two home with us there and then.

All was fine during the day both rabbits a bit nervous but on the whole seemed to be happy. The following morning I awoke, when I went out to the hutch the female rabbit was dead. Her head was in a funny position and it looked like she had broke her neck by running into the wall of the new hutch, devastated not even been with us for 24 hours and already dead.

Not much we could do for her but have been making loads of fuss of male rabbit who is now in a very big hutch on his own. He seems to be ok doesn't seem stressed apart from being shy, but seems to be eating ok and is ok with being picked up.

We don't want to see him on his own now that his companion has gone, is it too early to consider bonding him with a new female rabbit? Should we just leave him on his own for a few weeks to get over his loss?

When we do decide to bond him who would be best to contact? Do the RSPCA help with bonding rabbits with theirs or do we need to contact a special rabbit re-homing centre?

We live in the Watford area so if anyone knows of any good homing centres within 30 miles of Watford then please let me know.

Thanks
David

:wave: Hi David. So sorry for your loss. Have a look at rabbit rehome as they list rescue centres as well as rabbits - sorry all you IT experts out there when I have tried hyperlinking on my mac it hasn't worked before. Can someone do this for me?
Your local rescue will be able to advise you well on all aspects of bunny care as well as on here.
Let us know how you get on.

Liz

Back