• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bloat...?

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Okay so im talking about Bella, Some of you may remember her as the "possibily pregnant rabbit" at PAH.

Well i got Bella etc, had her spayed and the vet said she had alot of poo in her intestines etc..couldnt understand him. He did say she was also bloated. So i changed her onto Excel food and she eats plenty of hay and only small amounts of veg as she always tends to have lose, soft poos.

Anyways ive been on RU today reading alot and i think PAH's only thought she was pregnant because of her being bloated.

Is it usual for a rabbit to be bloated all the time? She excerises daily and doesnt look uncomfortable. She flops out and sprawls out all the time.

Another thing with her is she is quite short-haired and i noticed her back feet/legs tend to have abit of wee on them with the hair split apart....It doesnt look sore or anything though...

Anyone?
Thanks in advance...

x

Stumpy had bloat at 7 weeks and had a night on a drip,I dont know much about it tho,the vet said he recovered quickly,I just keep an eye on him,I do worry tho.The vet said to not let him eat too much hay :shock:and plenty of veg.Hope that your bun will have no further problems,dogs and horses get it too dont they?

Stumpy had bloat at 7 weeks and had a night on a drip,I dont know much about it tho,the vet said he recovered quickly,I just keep an eye on him,I do worry tho.The vet said to not let him eat too much hay :shock:and plenty of veg.Hope that your bun will have no further problems,dogs and horses get it too dont they?

Oh dear.
Am i right on the understanding its like us, when we have eaten we get bloated :oops:

Bellas is like this all the time, yet the vet didnt suggest any treatment...

x

Cracker had bloat - his tummy felt hard & there was no pooing.

As for having wet back legs - Bouncer had this & he was incontinent - he was treated for various infections & it turned out to be EC

Bloat is a really quick killer, if she had bloat you would really know about it, bunny would be in a lot of pain and wouldn't be eating/pooing or anything. I don't think it could be true bloat as she wouldn be really poorly.

Bloat is a really quick killer, if she had bloat you would really know about it, bunny would be in a lot of pain and wouldn't be eating/pooing or anything. I don't think it could be true bloat as she wouldn be really poorly.

Oright, thanks very much! Must say the more i have read today i think i got myself worked up.

Thanks!!

i dont think she has bloat bcus it is a killer n she would have been in alot of pain, however the weeing on the legs is something to check out as i could point to things such as E.C, renal failure etc etc, she could also end up giving herself urine scalds, but hopefully it is nothing too serious but would definatly get it checked out!

i dont think she has bloat bcus it is a killer n she would have been in alot of pain, however the weeing on the legs is something to check out as i could point to things such as E.C, renal failure etc etc, she could also end up giving herself urine scalds, but hopefully it is nothing too serious but would definatly get it checked out!

Thanks alot!!

Whilst she was in for spay i spoke to the vet about it but he didnt have much to say.

Im going to have a good luck tomorrow.

What is urine scalds like?

x

they look a little like burns if left, my mini rex had sore hocks so i just used newspaper for toilet and he dozed on an old large towel, took a long time for his fur to grow back on them,
i recon you should find a more rabbit savy vet to be honest, if she eating lots of hay and doing nice large poos,thats normaly a good sign, some buns get a little unsettled after a vist to the vet, i have one bun who gets sticky bottom every time we take him in the car
change where she goes to the toilet regualy and give her plenty of room to run around,
im not familiar with all the symptoms of EC but as others have said would be worth checking out, or someone will pop a message with more info on it

Thanks alot!!

Whilst she was in for spay i spoke to the vet about it but he didnt have much to say.

Im going to have a good luck tomorrow.

What is urine scalds like?

x

well ive never seen any myself except for piccies on here but you would know if she had them bcus they would look almost like burns, she would be bald on her legs in patches, so im sure u wud have noticed that to be honest, hard to miss!

there has 2 be a reason why she is peeing down herself, if she is doing it frequently, so i would see another vet!

good luck x

they look a little like burns if left, my mini rex had sore hocks so i just used newspaper for toilet and he dozed on an old large towel, took a long time for his fur to grow back on them,
i recon you should find a more rabbit savy vet to be honest, if she eating lots of hay and doing nice large poos,thats normaly a good sign, some buns get a little unsettled after a vist to the vet, i have one bun who gets sticky bottom every time we take him in the car
change where she goes to the toilet regualy and give her plenty of room to run around,
im not familiar with all the symptoms of EC but as others have said would be worth checking out, or someone will pop a message with more info on it

Thanks.
She is eating etc etc very nicely.
My vet is rabbit savy otherwise i would not go there :)
Bella has been like this from day one, it is not caused by a trip to vets or a change in cage or run..its just Bella. Just after reading up on stuff today things got into my mind...

well ive never seen any myself except for piccies on here but you would know if she had them bcus they would look almost like burns, she would be bald on her legs in patches, so im sure u wud have noticed that to be honest, hard to miss!

there has 2 be a reason why she is peeing down herself, if she is doing it frequently, so i would see another vet!

good luck x

I am assuming it is not that then as it is nothing like that :) phewwww

Thanks!! she doesnt pee on her self i think it may be from sitting in her litter tray! :)

Back