• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I am a rubbish bunny mum - update & new question

Just done weekly bum checks and Ginger has urine scald. :cry: I normally do them on a sunday but didnt last week as they came back from boarding after our week away and were a little stressed.
I checked his teeth and all 4 of his front teeth were overgrown. I have clipped them and cleaned his bottom up, the first thing he did when i clipped his teeth was lick his lips a lot. I will take him to the vets tomorrow to have the back ones checked. Have put him in a separate hutch for now so i can monitor how much he eats tonight, but he was tentatively tucking into a bowl of pellets earlier.
Poor thing. I feel rubbish about it.
Jess

Last edited:
Im sure you're not rubbish, you obviously care a lot and none of us are perfect.

I too do bum checks every day though, you know how quick flies can get a hold in summer.

it has been like winter here, when its hot i do daily. not seen any flies either so not worried so much. And yes, learnt how to clip teeth when Thyme's misaligned. It reduced the stress on her going to the vets significantly. Is obviously also a lot cheaper.
Please don't tell me off for not weekly bum checks, feel bad enough already :cry:

it has been like winter here, when its hot i do daily. not seen any flies either so not worried so much. And yes, learnt how to clip teeth when Thyme's misaligned. It reduced the stress on her going to the vets significantly. Is obviously also a lot cheaper.
Please don't tell me off for not weekly bum checks, feel bad enough already :cry:

I thought it wasnt good to clip rabbits teeth? I just had Alfies removed he coped fine

im going to be 100% honest, every boarder here gets their bum checked morning and night.

however, i dont check my own buns everyday. i dont check them on any partiuclar day or have a shedule, if im picking them up i have a qiuck look underneath, but dont make a point of doing it, this because in the two years i have two, and in the 1 year/18 months ive had the other two, they have NEVER had a runny poo, a messy bum, weed on themselves (cept for peanut once!) or been mucky at all, not even a teeny bit.

i might get slated for not doing 'regular' bum checks but i just dont 'worry' as such bcus its necver been a problem.

sending vibes for your bunny xxxxx

im going to be 100% honest, every boarder here gets their bum checked morning and night.

however, i dont check my own buns everyday. i dont check them on any partiuclar day or have a shedule, if im picking them up i have a qiuck look underneath, but dont make a point of doing it, this because in the two years i have two, and in the 1 year/18 months ive had the other two, they have NEVER had a runny poo, a messy bum, weed on themselves (cept for peanut once!) or been mucky at all, not even a teeny bit.

i might get slated for not doing 'regular' bum checks but i just dont 'worry' as such bcus its necver been a problem.

sending vibes for your bunny xxxxx

I'll hold my hand up too and say I don't do daily bum checks on either of my two - or even weekly ones. It's just too stressful with one rabbit who hates being picked up, and another who actually squeaks and almost hyperventilates when being checked. I check them when I can, and always if I've seen a fly around, which has been around three times during the whole summer. Like SJ I'm lucky that my two have never had a problem with messy bums so I'm not going to get myself and them into a state over it.

Hope Ginger is OK. Don't feel bad - we all do things differently - I don't consider myself a bad bunny mummy for not doing bum checks every day and neither should you.

Vibes for Ginger.

I do weekly bum checks on my buns, which is probably not enough, but it has also never been a problem for me either, so far. My girl bun is ok about having her bum checked but the boy wont have any of it, he hates having his bum checked.

I don't check either. My Buns are not overweight and can clean themselves and do not get messy bums. They live in a shed and are litter box trained and do not sit in their litter boxes unless going to the toilet.

They both hate being picked up and give me the cold shoulder when i need to panacur for 9 days.

I don't think you should feel guilty.

Thanks guys. most of my buns have been mistreated, grabbed by small children and hate being handled. and i mean hate. they bite, scratch kick and struggle and thats despite all my hard work. I do check if there are flies or if one is acting out of character, but other than that i do a weekly check. i have only ever had one bun with flystrike many years ago, and he survived it. going to go and check on him. And yes clipping teeth isnt great, but it means he can eat, and it was that or let him be hungry for another night. :?

Lots of vibes for Ginger, bet he's feeling better already now he's had good munch!:D Hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow.:D

Sending hugs, we can only do our best & none of us will ever be perfect. Hugs for Ginger & you, dont feel bad :love: X

This is a bit of an aside from the OP but clipping really isn't advised any more, even by the RWAF:

"Please note that clipping overgrown front teeth is no longer recommended. Clipping places extreme forces on the tooth, compressing the sensitive pulp further up the tooth and sending a shock wave through the skull. It’s painful (which is why rabbits hate it) and it can also shatter the tooth roots, leading to infection." - http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/dental_disease.htm

"clipping the teeth rather than filing or grinding them down can be dangerous, since micro-fractures of the tooth from clipping can travel below the gumline, inviting bacterial infection that can ultimately be life-threatening" -http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

As for the urine scald, there's no point in feeling guilty - get it treated, and learn from what has happened by doing more regular checks from now on. We all make mistakes and the important thing is to learn from them.

I don't think you can blame yourself for the urine scald. I would be cautious about clipping teeth, It is not a practice done by even rabbit savvy vets now. You would be far better off having them removed, that would save him the stress of even having to have them burred frequently.

As for checking bums, one of my bunnies had fly strike last week because he had simply sat in his own urine (he was less mobile due to anaesthetic). Luckily I do check my rabbits twice a day. I think if a rabbit is outside it should be checked daily because even clean rabbits can end up with flystrike and if you catch it before the eggs hatch the rabbit doesn't have to suffer.

I wasnt telling you off, just explaining why I do them more often, cos you seemed worried. I can see it wouldnt be practical with some buns though.

He has been to the vets this morning. She was impressed with my treatment and knowledge and said what i had done was fine. She took his temp which was fine. she said his bladder felt empty and asked if he had been drinking excessively which he hasn't, has said to keep an eye as it could also be kidneys causing the scald.
What i am puzzling over is if he had a sticky bum that could be attributed to overgrown teeth as he wouldn't be able to eat them. But is the urine scald linked or is it separate? :? on reflection it doesn't seem to fit together. ideas???

Back