• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Cookie

cookie and the girls

Warren Scout
My poor little rabbit Cookie who had her leg taken off two weeks ago had to go back to vets yesterday. The skin wasn't strong enough and it has burst open. The vet wants to treat it as an absess and I need to clean it out with hibiscrub twice a day and hope it will start to heal up. She also has pain relief and antibiotics. She is still eating well and is happy enough in herself but I am really worried. Has anyone gone through anything like this?

Im so sorry.Which leg did Cookie have taken off and which antibiotics is she on and also why was her leg amputated?

Im so sorry.Which leg did Cookie have taken off and which antibiotics is she on and also why was her leg amputated?

It is her front left. she was attacked by one of my other rabbits in the night and the damage was so great it was basically a dead leg. and the antibiotics are Baytril

oh gosh :( poor cookie!!

never had such an experience myself, but im sure someone will have some good advice soon, i hope she gets better :D:D

Would your vet consider changing the Abx to injectable Ceporex as It has better skin penetration?

Progress report on Cookie

Cookie is doing much better. The sore is much better healing really well. Thanks everyone for all the vibes.
Back to the vets Tuesday so we will see what he has to say.

You'd be better off with injectable penicillin....possibly combined with injectable baytril too. Will your vet allow you to inject her subcutaneously yourself?

Poor cookie

You'd be better off with injectable penicillin....possibly combined with injectable baytril too. Will your vet allow you to inject her subcutaneously yourself?

Back