• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

May be fostering a bun, advice please!

Teal'c

Alpha Buck
My mom called me to let me know about a "Found Bunny" at the vet's office, so of course I had to go check it out. They were keeping her in the back with the dogs and she was terrified. They said they were going to hold her for at least a week before (hopefully) adopting her out and I asked if she could stay at my place during that time. I mean really - a rabbit in the dog kennels! She was petrified with fear! We agreed that I'd pick her up Monday if no one claims her over the weekend. Then I'll hold her for a while and if still no one calls she'll be mine.

I plan to go to the area she was found and make sure a real effort to find her family is being made.

We have a place where she will be quarentined completely. How long should that last?

What diseases could she have? We are in the Southern United States.

How can I tell for sure she's a girl? They said she's for sure a girl, but I also happen to have a half-neutered rabbit, sooo....

Any other advice?

I didn't get a picture but she's a full-size bun (not a dwarf like Teal'c). She's mostly white with at least one red eye (she had wedged herself in the corner as far back as she could and I didn't want to haul her to the front) and sooty-colored feet. She's got a green tattoo in her right ear but I didn't get to see it really well. Any idea what kind of bun she could be or what her color is called?

Thanks guys!

Hi there

Not sure I can really give the best advice, but wanted to say I think what you are doing for her is great.

How is your bun half neutered?

Ref illnesses your vet should be able to advise, is your bun vaccinated?

If I am unsure I always change clothes and wash my hands etc between buns. Good Luck ! x

Here in the States we don't vaccinate buns. I searched and searched for a vet that would, but everyone thought I was completely nuts.

Teal'c is half-neutered because the vet only removed one testicle. I was :censored: that he did that before calling and asking if he should split Teal'c open and dig the other one out or if I wanted to wait for it to drop on it's own. If I had known Teal'c had only one down, I would have waited, and I'm still :evil::evil::evil: that the VET didn't make sure there wasn't a full package to chop off before putting Teal'c under.

One of the several reasons I don't trust the vets around here to help with the bunnies.

Well I looked up how to tell if she's a girl or not and I think I can do it. Now, is there any hope of being able to tell if she's spayed?

The tattoo probably means she came from a show or 4h breeder but I don't think they are unique like uk rings so you probably can't trace the owner from it.

Back