• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunnies Negative EC Test

CRBevis

Mama Doe
Bunnie's EC test came back negative so does this mean that like the vet said, she has never ever been exposed to EC and therefore does not have the parasite and never has done.

I take it the test looked for antibodies to the parasite as she would have them if she has ever been exposed.

Does this also mean that if she doesn't go anywhere near other buns, which she doesn't, that we do not have to panacur her anymore???

Last edited:
If the Vet said that there were no antibodies then 'no' she has not been exposed to EC. If she never comes into contact with another Rabbit for the rest of her life then I guess there is no need to Panacur her.
But as I am not a Vet I suggest you confirm this with your Vet

:)

If the Vet said that there were no antibodies then 'no' she has not been exposed to EC. If she never comes into contact with another Rabbit for the rest of her life then I guess there is no need to Panacur her.
But as I am not a Vet I suggest you confirm this with your Vet

:)

Ok thanks Jane.

Just wanted someone to verify what I thought.

Your more rabbit savvy then most vets I have met:D

If a rabbit tests negative for E.cuniculi (from blood tests which measure antibody levels) it has not mounted an immune response against it, usually because the parasite has not infected the rabbit so the immune system has had no need to fight it. Potentially there are a couple of loopholes - one is if the parasite has recently infected the rabbit and it is too early on in the infection for antibodies to have been produced in detectable amounts. The other is if the rabbit has been infected in utero by the mother. We don't have any scientific data on this but some infections that occur (in other species) when the immune system is forming can 'trick' the developing immune cells into believing that as it is there so early on in life it must be self and not something that needs an immune response. So potentially if maternally infected before birth there will never be antibody production regardless of infection levels.
Saying that it would be very rare to have either of those situations so my advice would be that if testing negative it is highly likely that no infection has occurred so treating with panacur will have no benefit and long courses of any unneccesary medication are to be avoided

If a rabbit tests negative for E.cuniculi (from blood tests which measure antibody levels) it has not mounted an immune response against it, usually because the parasite has not infected the rabbit so the immune system has had no need to fight it. Potentially there are a couple of loopholes - one is if the parasite has recently infected the rabbit and it is too early on in the infection for antibodies to have been produced in detectable amounts. The other is if the rabbit has been infected in utero by the mother. We don't have any scientific data on this but some infections that occur (in other species) when the immune system is forming can 'trick' the developing immune cells into believing that as it is there so early on in life it must be self and not something that needs an immune response. So potentially if maternally infected before birth there will never be antibody production regardless of infection levels.
Saying that it would be very rare to have either of those situations so my advice would be that if testing negative it is highly likely that no infection has occurred so treating with panacur will have no benefit and long courses of any unneccesary medication are to be avoided

Thanks very much for that most interesting and reassuring :D

Thankyou
x

Back