• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pls help need advise urgently

Lisa k

New Kit
Hi im hoping someone can help me..
I adopted smudge from walsall rspca over a month ago now and everyting was fine up until a wk ago i kept her and my other rabit onslow apart for a while but i put them in a run where they could c eachother, however about a wk ago smudge escaped out of her run into onslows half and really attacked him we hadto rush him to the vets he was very bald and bleeding!!! she was fine.
Since then ive put them in the run once and she tries to get through to him and tried to bight him if he lies next to the bars!!! She also keeps trying to bite me and lunges at me!! I really dont know what to do its really upsetting me and causing onslow alot of distress, smudge is completly fine i darent try to bond them because it doesnt seem fair on any of them, if anyone can please suggest anything to help me i'd really appreciate it!!
ive been really patient but i dont think it is fair on either of them and it upsets me the thought of having to take smudge back but i feel it will be the only option if i dont know what to do soon :(
xx

are they both spayed/neutered? Also, did you introduce them in an area where they both never been before? It could be a possesive/territorial issue...

Smudge was spayed when we had her and she is roughly 7 months old, onslow is neutered and is 12months old yet he is completly plasid and laid back and wouldnt hurt a fly, smudge lunges at you and constantly tries to bite you!!
I have put them in completly neutral place (small dining area) and she still attempts to attack him through the bars!!
The 1 time we dd put them together they were kind of boxing but now its vicous and i hadto take my boy to the vet as she had wripped alot of his fur out and drew blood quite a big patch of flesh missing on his back! checker her over and she is fine!
ive been told its mating season but i am concerned they are just not ment to be!
Im worried for my little boy as his sister bullied him before and he is completly petrified and withdrawn.
xx

oh :shock: I was kind of expecting her not to be spayed, which wouldve explained it...dont know what to suggest now. :?

It doesnt sound promising to me but hopefully someone who knows more about bonding will be able to advise you soon.

Ohh my...maybe she just needs time to adjust? how long did you keep them seperated by a wall?

Ok thanks alot neway, ive wrote to the person i had her from see if she can help me. I've had all the patience in the world with them both but i really cant c them bonding and it isnt fair on either of them. I lv my rabbits and its really upsetting me!
xx

Have you had a word with Lucy, to see what she suggests? Could you just not let them live seperately, as I had two buns that it took 12mths to bond as they use to fight with each other then one day they just decided they loved each other and that was that they were inseperable:D

How do i get to speak to lucy?
Individually they are lovely! But when put near to one another smudge tries to attack onslow and onslow is frit and runs away and hides in the corner!
I could keep them seperat which they are at the moment but i had another rabbit so my boy wouldnt be lonely and i dont feel its fair on either of them being alone as i worry they'll be lonely!
Dont no what to do x

I'm really sorry to read this. I'm guessing Smudge is the sister of the rabbit I have just adopted (Tinkerbell).

I know they all came from a bad environment and Smudge was the one who came off best of all of them.

I have no expertise on bonding but I'm really hoping a bonding expert can help you. I know in Tinkerbell's case it will take a lot of time and patience to win her round and I'm debating whether my presence or seeing another bunny near her will work best.

I spoke with the foster carers who had been looking after all of this family and I know Smudge was doing really well, so I'm really hoping that it is just a case of "too soon"... though I'm guessing they will all be a bit defensive from being kept in cramped conditions when young. I really hope this will wear off for all their sakes!

Sending vibes that you can sort it out okay.

Well when we had smudge we were told she was a hapy little bunny which shown when we had her! When onslow and smudge first saw eachother they lay either side of the mesh and wouldnt move from one another!
But when i put them in opposite sides of the run then still seemed ok just smelt eachother, but now smudge has turned very aggresive, before she would sit on my lap and let me brush her but she seems to have turned evidently attacking onslow and it has really scared him.
Im completly stuck not knowing what to do i really dont want to give up on smudge because she is just adorable but at the moment i cant see them ever living together.
I've researched that it is mating season so i am hoping it may be something to do with that as to why she is a bit aggresive!!
Thanks for your help i am glad tinkerbell is doing well, i love smudge to bits i really dnt want to give up :( xx

Have you had a word with Lucy, to see what she suggests? Could you just not let them live seperately, as I had two buns that it took 12mths to bond as they use to fight with each other then one day they just decided they loved each other and that was that they were inseperable:D

Gosh, you beat me! I thought mine was long at 4 months.

Lisa, seriously. Mine were the same as yours, Katy attacking Homer aggressively. Katy was spayed by the RSPCA and we don't know anything of her background except she was found wandering around a road.

We gave them time apart, days and in the end 3 weeks before we tried to bond them in a new Wendy House. Something just clicked with them eventually.

Have you tried to take them for a ride in the car, that sounds successful from people on here who have done it (I had not heard of it when I was bonding).

I hope it works out for them both.

My pair below were bonded by the rescue but it broke down 48h after getting them home. Straight away they advised me to do the car thing so I put both in the car, drove around for 20mins or so then put them both in the cloakroom where neither has been before. As you can see from the pic below it worked a treat.

Someone mentioned taking them a ride in the car, is that in the same basketo or seperate baskets?
It has only been just over 4 wks but the progress that i though was happening in the beginning seems a long time ago with how agressive smudge has turned!! N my boy is terified of her that why i am in doubt if its a good idea, however im new to this so i may be wrong!!
I'm gonna keep giving it ago but i feel really doubtful at the moment.
xxxx

My advice on bonding is always the same because im a wimp. I would contact a rescue centre and offer a donation in return for help with bonding. They know alot about it and it would take the pressure of you :D. You could always ask if someone on here is willing to help.

So sorry to hear of the problems you are going through.

Unfortunately, your two may just not be compatible. Some rabbits will accept another easily some may be very choosy over their choice of partner. This is why a lot of rescues advise you to take your rabbit to them to enable them to choose their own partner. They will then oversee the bonding process there and, when they are completely happy they have bonded, then you can then take them home.

Have you contacted the rescue for advice?

Hoping that things work out for both you and the rabbits.

If you have a look at your adoption folder, all the contact details you need are in there. All I can do really is to echo what the others have said which is to give her more time. I am concerned she is lunging at you though, as she was so tame at Vicki's she was living in her bedroom! Maybe you ned to be a bit braver and handle her more?

A change of enviroment can upset rabbits sometimes
As you seem to have lost confidence with her and with bonding, I would ask someone else to do it for you..that way no stress to you..and the buns may be picking up on your stress?

Which rescue on here are you nearest to as they may well help you?
good luck!

Being as she came from us, I do not appreciate the suggestion that she should be looking elsewhere for help thank you very much. She is welcome to give me a call and chat through the situation and see what we can come up with. 4 weeks in is still early for some buns.

Back