• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yes, another new bunny lover!

k~8

Young Bun
Well, hi all! I'm Kate, a netherland dwarf/lop owner of Cappa (short for Cappaccino due to her colour), she's 2 and a half, and has a wicked personality! She comes to her name, and different places in my flat depending on what she's being offered, and likes to leave hair everywhere on my cream carpet... I started off as an ignorant blind rabbit owner, Cappa was given to me by a family friend, not having a clue about what I was doing. But luckily I was smart enough to do my research and get involved with a rabbit rescue so I could recognise problems, and caught up on the knowledge I should have already had, which I def needed with Cappa, as she reacts in allsorts of ways to the spaying, mixi and vhd, never mind the 2 fleas she managed to find! Thanks to an AMAZING vet, who also is the vet for the rescue, we now work together to sort people/places out with the care that bunnies deserve. I work in the animal world, and am the local bunny health checker/nail trimmer (I don't get how people forget that bit?!?!?) and I want to know more! Hence why I'm here, to offer advice when I know, and learn when I don't!

I could talk about buns all day, so I'd better stop here! :bunny:

Hiya Kate, welcome to RU :D

Sounds like your the ideal bunny owner! What a fab name "Cappuccino" :love:

Has she been clicker trained? I am planning to do this with my two - I want them to learn their names :)

Cappuccino is my fave coffee, but her hairs are funny colours! Her scalps white, then the hairs go grey, black and blonde at the tips! (Not yet seen another bun like it!)

I didn't clicker train, just she's always had the same name as I got her from 14wks old, and interest in me! She started off outdoors in my small garden which I used to sit out with her loads, and just kept calling her (Nicely!) to either go into her hutch, or to come to me for a treat/rubs , and it just seem to stick! Now wherever I am she comes running, and depending on the noise of the food/treats (by shaking the pot or the pellet's noise) she goes to the lounge wherever I am or to the kitchen doorway for dinner. I've started on the next level, in that by saying 'indoors' she goes into her giant dog crate mansion, or 'lie' before she gets the veg/treat/food and she seems to react like a puppy in that she learns quick and it sticks!

Don't get me wrong, I know I have a bunny not a dog, and I'm not trying to army discipline her, but it makes life easy that I'm not chasing her round, and it keeps her interested in me and the bf instead of munching my couch!

I don't know if clicker would work on bunnies, but I love to know if it does! Keep calling their names repetitavely for everything, and when your rubbing them, and before you want to give them something tasty....they learn its in their interest to move!

Sounds fab hon - Great training techniques - wish you were closer so you could train my two :lol: I know theres a few ppl who use clicker training on their buns - it does make it so much easier especially as bunnies hate being picked up :)

Congrats on your Cappa, what a clever bunster! x x

Hi!!!

welcome to the fourm XD although i am just as new as you!! i have seen the clicker training on youtube for rabbits and it seems great! maybe you should check it out on their!! my rabbit lacey used to know her name, do figure of 8 and jump through hopes she also used to make grunt noises when bouncing up to me which was funny and if i scratched the floor she used to jump at my fingers she also knew in, out, and open with my hands kinda opening movement and she would open her mouth as she had bad teeth and i had to constently look in her mouth! the vets thought this was fantastic when i showed them and they allowed her to file her teeth with no problems and no drugs which was less stressful on lacey and cheeper for me! i think if you put the time in your bunny it doesnt matter what you use to teach them, they'll learn! lacey was really like a dog though she used to carry things to us like slippers!! all of this was learnt without treats or the clicker she just loved to please her only reward was a eskmo nose rub!! she loves these and would give my nose a right licking!! lacey also knew me, when i was upset shes come and rest her chin on my leg and once when this lady came round my house (Who i really did not like) she spent the whole time of her there running up and down her cage thumping her feet really loud and grunting! lacey was a special bunny and i havent met one like her! althought i will spot babbling now!! :) btw you sound like your a prefect bunny owner!!

btw you sound like your a prefect bunny owner!!

Ah thankyou navat, I try! But until I learn a lot more (which I'm right in the process of doing through work, here and being the local 'bunny queen' as I'm called!) I wouldn't call myself perfect, I've just got lots of love for animals! Lacey sounds like a cool character, it's a strange thing training little furries!

I'm amazed by all the welcomes, thankyou's to all! :love:

P.S. I'm loving all the signatures!!

Back