• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP! My new little bunny is ill!

We bought a bunny, Huckerby, a week ago and for the first 4 days he was fine, hopping and running round, into everything licking your hands etc, very happy. He had a few sneezes, but no discharge and was healthy and bright.

We took him for a health check at the vets, and ever since then he has become more and more ill. He sneezed more, and seemed off, so when we took him in for his myxi jab later that day we asked the vet, who said he was ok, just allergies.

After his jab he started tilting his head only lifting one ear and had discharge from his nose. He also is not running round, not eating or drinking, hardly pooing and not licking or interested in anything.

We have taken him to the vet who gave him baytril which we are feeding him with a syringe and water, but he doesnt seem to be improving.

Very worried, and sorry to go on so long, but Im new to this forum thing and am so worried bout my baby, I would just like some advise as Im worried he wont come thru!

Thanks!

Victoria

i have no idea what could be wrong hun, but i hope he gets better soon.. loads of peeps on this forum will be able to arm you with advice for when you next visit the vets with him xxxxx

Oh dear, poor little lad, he doesn't sound well at all does he :cry: I wonder if he has an inner ear infection if he is tilting his head and not lifting his ear. I wouldn't have thought that baytril would be the best antibiotic to use for that. Are there any other vets at the practice you use, so you could get a 'second opinion'. Failing that, apparently the companion care vets practice at Sprowston are supposed to be very good with rabbits if you can get him booked in there.

I really would suggest getting him seen again sooner rather than later, a bunny not eating can get poorly very quickly. Is he eating and drinking at all at the moment?

I agree with Alison. It sounds as though your Bunny was incubating a bacterial infection and the Myxi vaccination just pushed his little immune system too far.

Getting him to a Bunny savvy Vet is essential. Whilst Baytril may be the correct antibiotic, he also needs pain relief. Earache hurts and a Bunny in pain wont eat and their tummy stops working. He probably already has reduced gut motility and so may need a gut motility stimulant too.

It may also be advisable to get him onto a course of Panacur to cover him for any EC involvement. EC is a protozoal parasite that up to 50% of domestic rabbits have been exposed to, usually at birth. The EC parasite sheds spores which are transmitted to the central nervous system, kidneys, liver and heart.
The spores cause an inflammatory response that in turn results in clinical symptoms. One symptom of a neurological problem as a result of EC is headtilt. The treatment he would need is Fenbendazole ( Panacur/Lapizole )

If there is a Vet that can see him today it would be the best option for him. Poor little chap :(

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for your advice, now gonna give him some more antibiotic.

I had feared the parasite issue as I had a bunny with that before, but didnt think it struck so soon! He was 18 months old and had in growing teeth! I feel like Im cursed! Poor chaps they are!

He has an appointment with the vets at Companian Care in sprowston tomorrow, but the vet he saw last time didnt seem to be very good with rabbits, so we booked him in with the other one. Will print this thread off and show it to them when we go tomorrow unless they can fit us in today.

Many Thanks to you all!

Thank you all for your get well messages!

He is booked in this afternoon, and has seemed to get a little better after syringing the baytril into his mouth! Still not quite right but getting there! HAve printed off your advise for the vet to look at, as bunnys are not always the easiest people to diagnose!

Huckerby sends love and bunny kisses! He is busy licking my feet again!

This does sound like an inner ear infection, and as said prior, i would treat for EC just incase.....course of panacur.

Kirsty & Kermit x

If you're a member of the RWAF they have a list of recommended vets for rabbits in your area. To get access to the website area takes a little while however, so if it's urgent you should phone them as soon as you've joined.

Huckerby is getting better now, has been to the vet's again today and they have given him 10 days more anti-biotics. Baytril again. He has to go back if he doesnt improve, and they will treat for EC if he isnt showing improvment in his head tilt in a day or so! Poor little guy has been to the vets more than he has been at home recently!

Thank you for all your advice - he is having his antibiotics injected into his favourite treat - apricots - to save me syringe feeding him and making him uncomfortable, vet gave me the right dose to do this safely, very good lady vet at this surgery - Huckerby loved her!

Update on Huckerby!

THANKS for all your help and advice on Huckerby and what was wrong!

He has finished his course of anti-biotics, and is back to chewing jumping and being a generally naughty little bunny rabbit!

Me and Ady are so glad we found your website - THANKS AGAIN!
:D

Back