• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun not really eating

holder

Alpha Buck
Hi i have a bun named Pepe & he had his teeth filed down yesterday at the vets, this was the first time in 5 months, but as a lot of you know i lost Honey in june because of this.
He as always been well after filing his teeth down, but today he as not been himself, so now im worring that the same thing might happen to him with the gas. The vet give him an injection to get his guts moving but no pain killer, she said he didn't need it? but he is eating grass but nothing else, i am worried if he doesn't start eating tonight or passing his poo he will get worse.
Would it be ok for me to give him some emergency food as i have still got some left, or should i wait till the morning to see if he eats tonight?
I have tried him with all the different treats but all he does is take 1 chocolate drop, where before he would eat the lot lol.
Am i just worring because of what happened with Honey ... Oh God i hate it when rabbits stop eating :cry:

I have managed to get him to take 2 chocolate drops stuck together with some pain killer lol, i have been sat in the wendy house for the last few hours trying to get him to eat, & he as started to eat some pellets :D
The trouble is him & his brother are so scared of me & anyone else & i have had them now for over a year now.
I cant seem to get to near to them without worring them.

His mouth may still be a little sore, as raine suggests maybe a call to the vets to see if you can get some painkillers.

Can you add some water to his pellets to see if he will take them like that. Also encourage some extra water (warmed) if you can. Can you get to a supermarket to get some herbs, kale, spring cabbage, spinach etc to try to encourage him?

Hope he is feeling better soon.

I'm sorry i didn't get back on here to let you know sooner.
I called the vets & told them what was happening, & they said for me to give him some pain killer, which i did again this morning, & i had already added some water to his pellets, he still wasn't eating this morning, so i got bits of all the food he loves & sit down with him, after a few hours he started to nipple some cabbage then he started on the herbs he ate some basil then a little bit of parsley & then he ate some dry pellets lol
Thank God he started to eat, :D
Thank you all for helping me once again, i think i was panicking after what happened with Honey.
I should know what to do by now after all i tried with Honey but my mind went blank.
Thank you all again xx

Hi Happy Hopping, yes he is eating hay, he was eating it last night & today & eating grass again, he is back to normal now thank God, I have kept a good eye on him & he is well again.
This is the first time he as ever had any trouble with his teeth being filed down, usually he comes home & starts eating just about straight away, but this time was different. I have cut their pellets & treats right down so that they are eating more hay now, & it has seemed to work with their teeth as they don't have to have them filed down so much now.

Hi Happy Hopping, yes he is eating hay, he was eating it last night & today & eating grass again, he is back to normal now thank God, I have kept a good eye on him & he is well again.
This is the first time he as ever had any trouble with his teeth being filed down, usually he comes home & starts eating just about straight away, but this time was different. I have cut their pellets & treats right down so that they are eating more hay now, & it has seemed to work with their teeth as they don't have to have them filed down so much now.

:wave: im so pleased hes feeling better:D.
x

as long as he's eating enough hay, that the hay composed of 80% to 90% of his diet, then that's good enough. They are not supposed to eat too much pellet. The remaining 20% is pellet, green, treats, fruits

Back