• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you bond a rabbit and dog?!

angie4128

New Kit
My parents have gone away on holiday for 2weeks, and so we have inherited their dog for the two weeks that they are away...
We also have a doe house rabbit (Dylan), which we have had for around 6months, and she is around 8-9 months old now. Since we live in a flat, which isn't very big, when it comes to the two pets we have to decide which animal to let out of its pen to run around and play- and so the dog gets presidence as well, its a dog and looks depressed if we leave it in its pen for too long, unlike the Dylan, although she seems to get frustrated too...
Its such a shame we cant make the two get along/bond, so that both of them can be out and playing all of the time (bar at night when they go back into their pens, and obviously if we're not around...). Its not that they dont like each other, its just i haven't dared try...
So, how can you make dog and rabbit bond?! Age wise they are both young and playfull- the rabbit is just under a year old, and the dog around 2-3. The dog is a cocker spaniel, and my only worry is that it is very excitable, and so could easily scare the rabbit or get carried away.. Please help! thanks

Unless your intent is to keep the dog I wouldn't bother.

Can you not put the bun in a different room for now, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen...?

Ok thanks for your advise. It isn't just two weeks, it four weeks throughout the year, (2 x 2weeks), but if its not worth it for that amount of time i wont bother. I could put the rabbit in another room, but i only have one available- and there would have to be NOTHING in it, as my bunny chews anything and everything! lol

Ok thanks for your advise. It isn't just two weeks, it four weeks throughout the year, (2 x 2weeks), but if its not worth it for that amount of time i wont bother. I could put the rabbit in another room, but i only have one available- and there would have to be NOTHING in it, as my bunny chews anything and everything! lol

Is bun neutered? That might help with the chewing:D

I would put the dog on the lead and attach it to something (chair leg etc) keep a very close eye and let Dylan out to do her thing. She can then get away from the dog, dog can't chase her... if they are calm and settled you might be able to let the dog off. Be careful though as if Dylan is running around it is more likely to activate the dogs chase instinct.

:)

Back