• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit handling

Mr Cookie Bun

Mama Doe
:wave: I've been speaking to a woman who supposedly runs a small rabbit rescue and handrears baby birds and hedgehogs for the SSPCA. I was explaining to her how Cookie doesn't like being held. She told me that all rabbits have to be made to tolerate being handled and I should "towel" him each day to make him get used to it and to make it easier for the vet.

I have no problem examining him. He comes out each morning, runs about like mad, bunny flops then I go over to him and he lets me look at him while he's lying down. He also comes to me and lies on his back (volantarily) and lets me do just about anything to him. He wont let anyone near him though until he's done a few binky's and a flop.

Question is : do I follow her advice or do I follow my instincts and leave things how they are? (I think I know the answer but she has confused me a bit)

Well I kind of agree with her that it would in fact be much easier if the rabbit is used to being handled.
A rabbit that can't be handled would be difficult if it needed its claws clipped (trust me I know this from experience:evil:) or being examined at the vet if something would go wrong.
Not sure if "forced cuddling" would make things better or not though...

I have one rabbit who doesn't like to be handled, and it takes a lot of chasing to get a hold of her, also she sometimes tries to attack me when I come to get her. I try not to be mean to her, sometimes I just have to grab her in order to get her out for claw-clippings or checkovers.
Cutting claws gives room for quite a struggle and usually several claw marks on my arms. Luckily since she's got her run she digs alot, so it won't have to be done that often anymore.

Last edited:
:wave: Carry on as normal is what I would do, not all rabbits like to be handled and you seem to be able to do checks on him and bum checks etc.:D

One of mine is difficult to hold and I only do when absolutely necessary. I let vet clip nails etc.

:wave: Carry on as normal is what I would do, not all rabbits like to be handled and you seem to be able to do checks on him and bum checks etc.:D

When I took him for his jags and check up, the vet didn't need to actually lift him - when he was on the table the vet lifted up his bum end for a look and he wasn't bothered in the slightest. he then lifted his front end up and he wasn't bothered either. as long as he has 2 feet either on the ground or on you he's happy.

Back