• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post Neutering Problems :(

hollyd123

Warren Scout
Hiya, :wave:

I had Domino neutered just over a week ago, but I've been at the vets nearly every other day ever since :cry: ! He got a bit of an infection in it and has had three engermycin (sp??!) injections and 0.8ml Baytril each day for 6 days. The vet I saw this morning has booked him in for Monday to see the vet that performed the op as the stitches don't look quite right. The vet cut away some of the disolvable stitches that were poking through the wound thus not allowing it to heal :( . The vet thinks he may have been nibbling at it a little. The infection didn't look so bad today, I just hope it heals soon. He has been soooooo good! I could not ask for a more sweet natured and well behaved bun :love: . He's let me bathe the op site, taken his Baytril etc no problem at all. :)

He is eating fine and okay in himself, just wondering if anyone else had had any experiences like this and how long it took to heal?

Many thanks! :)

Holly

Hiya, :wave:

I had Domino neutered just over a week ago, but I've been at the vets nearly every other day ever since :cry: ! He got a bit of an infection in it and has had three engermycin (sp??!) injections and 0.8ml Baytril each day for 6 days. The vet I saw this morning has booked him in for Monday to see the vet that performed the op as the stitches don't look quite right. The vet cut away some of the disolvable stitches that were poking through the wound thus not allowing it to heal :( . The vet thinks he may have been nibbling at it a little. The infection didn't look so bad today, I just hope it heals soon. He has been soooooo good! I could not ask for a more sweet natured and well behaved bun :love: . He's let me bathe the op site, taken his Baytril etc no problem at all. :)

He is eating fine and okay in himself, just wondering if anyone else had had any experiences like this and how long it took to heal?

Many thanks! :)

Holly

hey!
my bun peanut butter nibbled at his stitches when he was neutured, and opened them up slightly, but i got him to the emergency vet when it happened so they managed to sort him out before he got any infection, but unfortnatly for me peanut got very mardy if i even tried to look LOL! so at least your bun is being good

has the vet suggest a collar? we had a plastic 'lampshade' collar for Peanut and it stopped him fiddling with it. the only thing i will say is my vet looped a big of bandaged through the holes (u know where it would go through a collar as buns dont have collars) but bcus the material stretched, peanut got it caught on his face one night, so i would actually use a small puppy collar for safety, to loop thru the plastic lampshade.

xxxxx

I had my french lop neutered recently, and he developed an infection. I had to keep taking him back for them to remove scab so infection could drain. They gave me baytril and hibiscrub to bathe wound with. Half way through the baytril it started improving and went absolutely fine. Good luck with your bun. Pam

Thanks for the replies :D It looked quite clean when I bathed it today, its just whether the skin can knit together over the sticky outy stitches. Will let you know how he gets on tommorrow night! :D

the skin will heal under the poking out sutures there are various sitch types that a vet may use some are concealed others not. also there are three layers of skin which allget sutured separately so it's not just the stitches you can see holding the skin together.
Obviously the more the bunny picks at themthe more likely infection is I wouldn't recommend a buster collar as this can prevent/discourage the bunny from eating and gut stasis is the last thing Domino needs!
Both injections are antibiotcs!

Thanks for that, good to have it all explained! :D As the vet on Saturday was not the vet that did the op, he couldn't be 100% certain how the op was performed as they all do it slightly differently. I've had a look at Dom today and the wound looks really clean, and I'm hoping the vet will be pleased with it tonight as its looking the best its been. He put up a bit of a fight with his medicine this morning - he's getting to know the routine and wants to go straight to the 'sweeties' before he's had the medicine :lol: (I don't blame him either, bunny sweeties probably taste a lot nicer than Baytril!)

Thanks also Leanne for the healing vibes, I think they are working! :D

Grrrr....still not signed off! Last night he had another injection and another lot of baytril. Poor boy :cry: He's due to be checked up next week.

One thing I have realised, he much prefers to travel on my lap (with my OH driving) than in the carrying box!

oh bless him, peanut used to do that when he hates the carry box!

im glad he is a bit better, sending more vibes for the little guy!

Back