• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cavity wall installation

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya, hope you can help :D

With the rising fuel costs blah blah blah, I am having my walls and roof installation done next Friday, is this poisonous to animals, as I'll need to find places for them?

Ta

I started looking into this last year. Some use formaldehyde which might not be great news. I still haven't got round to looking into it but think I will for the winter.

I think there are different kinds of insulation that they use. If you can find out what kind it is then my OH may be able to tell you if it would be harmful :D

Hmmm don't know if it's harmful but I know that, when the neighbours had theirs done, it went all over our garden!

When my parents had it done they blew rockwool into the cavities, so there was a slight risk stray bits of it could get into pets eyes & irritate them, but the company didn't think it was very likely. Best thing to do is give the company a ring on Monday & see what they advise.

We were suppossed to get ours done yesterday:cry:
We had a surveyor from the company come and do an assessment 4 weeks ago, drew plans and wrote a list of what ladders and batons they would need etc.

They turned up yesterday, took one look at the house and said they couldn't do it as we have a conservatory covering half of the back of the house, and a glass roof on the side of the house that they wouldn't even contemplate going any where near, and they couldn't do the one side without drilling from the inside of the brand new bedroom:shock:

To say I was p**** off is an understatement as I waited in til 3pm for them:evil:

I arranged it through Tesco for £199 so I'm going to complain - I mean what's the point of sending a surveyor around to OK it all first if the men then don't consider it safe to do?:evil::evil:

:wave:Hi Tree, we had our walls insulated last Wednesday, they check your gas meter first and only continue if thats ok, all i,ll say is it was very noisy but as Poppy is an indoors bun she was fine, kept trying to get out to them:roll:. The other two were in the garage out of harms way, hope you get on ok.Deb.x:D

As long as the buns do not have contact with the insulation it should be fine.
I know someon who got rashes from installing his own insulation and he was
diagnosed with dermatitis from it, so I do think it shouldn't be real near the buns during installation.
There is an insulation made of long, resilient glass fibers bonded with an acrylic rather than formaldehyde-based binder and recycled glass is used to make it too. I would chose this type of insulation for your house not just for the buns during installation but it's best for you too because of no possible formaldehyde emmissions. I used it for my house renovation this summer and it was no more expensive than the other kinds, but the buns were out in a shed the whole time so their safety wasn't a factor.

in a housing association house here so no choice..the loft had already been done but when they cavity wall insulated the hosues that same year the old bidy hadnt agreed to it or just hadnt been in...she never was apparently till her son came home form work.

anyhoo i had the cavity wal insualtion done last year,..it mde alot of diff to the wintertime! but i had to take my entire furry babies family as well as my daughter in her wheelchair and her stuff over to mums in shifts....as it was very noisy the drilling..the stuff they filled mine with i never saw. but we have a pvc and glass porch covering almost one side of our hosue with sliding glass doors to our lounge and they had no probs doing ours.......

i thought itd help with the heat but heck no....the sun stays on the other side of the house until it goes down..and its sooo hot even with blinds drawn....no trees anywhere to shade as my house is perched on massive ant nest..sorry hill!

it took about four hours i think.....

Thanks guys, will try and find out what they're putting in the walls, I asked Ste (lodger) if it was safe because he has been dealing with them and he said it is, but will get all animals out the house to be on the safe side, I think buns will probably be ok, worried about the smaller animals, like my birds, may ask neighbour to have them for the day.

:wave: Hi again, When they done our wall installation they drilled various holes outside the house then filled them with the insulation, no mess at all inside, just very noisy.But outside was a mess with red brick dust etc, it took just 2 hrs to do.:D

Back