• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tarantulas, snakes, frogs and lizards - snakes galore 28/07/13

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
Tarantulas, snakes, lizards and crawlies - "leafs what walk" 16/11/13

Now you can't say I didn't warn you with the title. Here's a few of my less common pets, some are new ones.

This is Troodon (Troodon - "Wounding tooth"). She's an adult female salmon pink tarantula which are regarded as one of the biggest species in the world.

troodon006.jpg

Check how big she is
troodon002.jpg

This is her mate Thunder who I got as a freebie in 2004. These two are perfect for showing the difference between adult male and female tarantulas. The adult males are usually much leggier than the stocky girls.
thunder043.jpg

Sluagh is an African horned baboon tarantula, these are quite defensive ones and they have a curious looking horn on the carapace. Last I checked no one knew what the purpose of this was.
sluagh006.jpg

Threat posture
sluagh003.jpg

Shadow is just one is the 3 Brazilian Black tarantulas I have. He's a sub-adult male.
shadow021.jpg

This one is Sniper, a young female chaco gold knee, she was about the size of an ant when I got her 4 years ago
sniper037.jpg

sniper036.jpg

This is usually the one everyone is interested to see. This is Storm, a young male Goliath bird eater. This tarantula holds the record for biggest tarantula in the world with a leg span of up to 13".
storm022.jpg

Here's him on my hand, he's got a lot of growing still to do
storm024.jpg

Terra the Mexican red knee, these are usually the one's we're more familar with.
terra010.jpg

terra013.jpg

Last edited:
Tarantulas, snakes, frogs and lizards - lots of new pics 29/01/12

Ruce is probably one of the most beautiful tarantulas I own, she's a Mexican fire-leg which is related to the Mexican red knee.
ruce016.jpg

ruce018.jpg

Pedro is hopefully going to be her future mate
pedro019.jpg

pedro018.jpg

Venechar is a lovely little Argentine Rose which come from the same genus as the Brazilian Blacks, Chaco Gold Knees and the Chile Roses.
venechar012.jpg

venechar011.jpg

Vesper is my baby Brazil black and the second tarantula I ever owned.
vesper073.jpg

Rochelle is a Brazilian white knee who can be sweet as pie one minute and spider from hell the next
rochelle024.jpg

Keet's a lovely big girl whom I got from someone who no longer wanted her. She's a Mexican red rump which belong in the same Genus as the Mexican Red Knees, Fire-Leg and Pinks.
keet015.jpg

Last edited:
They are amazing to look at......from a distance! :lol:

I have never been into Tarantulas......but I used to keep Iguanas and Chameleons many years ago.

My middle daughter has a Royal Python, which I can JUUUUUUUST about deal with! :lol: :lol: I used to LOVE snakes when I was younger, right up through my teens. I used to catch them all the time. But then I got bitten by one, and now I am very wary of them!

Your pics are absolutely FANTASTIC, and they certainly ARE interesting! I kind of like the Salmon pink one!

Wow! I am arachnophobic but I have to say your phots make them look quite velvety and beautiful. I'd probably faint if I saw them for real though.

Fluffy is a red Chile Rose which is the same species as the normal coloured Chile Rose but is simply a different colour-form. She's the one I always get out if I have guests who want to handle a tarantula, her and her cousin Buffy are both very sweet tarantuals and I think Fluffy is a stunning colour
fluffy019.jpg

fluffy016.jpg

And speaking of Buffy here she is, she's a normal Chile Rose and these come from the same genus as the Argentine Roses, Brazil Blacks and Chaco Gold Knees. She was the first tarantula I ever bought and she cost me a tenner
buffy122.jpg

Bonny is a tiny Mexican Red Knee
bonny005.jpg

Aristole is a Mexican pink tarantula I utterly adore, I'm not a pink person but I love the pink on black this tarantula has going on
aristole048.jpg

Greeta is my Asian Mantis that just wanders around my room wherever she pleases, she's a pretty nifty animal with fantastic eyesight but she does bite. Thankfully she stays on my shelving unit and has never come anywhere near the bed
Greeta002.jpg

Greeta003.jpg

My corn snake Oscar being cheeky and nosey as usual. He's a wild-type coloured corn snake (this is what corn snakes SHOULD look like). But he was being flogged cheap due to the fact he wasn't a desirable colour.
oscar093.jpg

oscar091.jpg

oscar088.jpg

And my Hog Island boa Tyree popped his head out too, these boas are quite special as they are extinct in the wild though a healthy population exists in captivity. Their island has been cleared of the rain forest that was previously their home
tyree092.jpg

tyree091.jpg

And last but not least here's the European tree frog I found in a bag of salad from the super market, his name is Padge.
padge042.jpg

Here are Padge's friends that are a tadpole too small to meet him just now (Padge would eat them)...

Puddles
puddles001.jpg

Choccie
choccie001.jpg

Vesper *almost* makes me want to touch him, he looks so soft!!!!! :D

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the froggies!!!!!!!!!!! :love: :love:

Ooooh, I like those Mexican fire-legs as well!

Have you ever been bitten?!?

I've never yet been bitten by any of my tarantulas, my Hog Island boa made a bit of a mess of my hand once when I tried to grab an only partly defrosted rat off of him. Guess I asked for that!:lol:

Those tarantulas are gorgeous! I'd love to get one of my own but my bf's scared as hell of them xD

Greeta strolls around your room?

She is lovely they all are.

Im scared of daddy long legs let alone spiders and Greeta sharing my bed!!

they're gorgeous :love:

I'm getting into tarantulas - I have a female sub-adult Bracypelma smithi, 2 Euathlus vulpinus slings , 2 larger Euathlus sp. 'green' slings, 1 juvenile Megaphobema robustum, a Lasiodora parahybana sling, a Cyriocosmus elegans sling (teeny-tiny!) and a Tapinauchenius Gigas sling - that one is probably my fave at the moment...
I'm after a Poecilotheria metallica at the moment... but then, isn't everyone!?:roll::lol:

Awwwww now i love those froggies:love::love:

I never saw the big T's i scrolled right down peeking through my fingers so i could see the frogs:lol:

:shock::shock:I don't think I'd be able to spend long in your house!!

They look truly stunning, but as March Hare said, from a distance:lol:

What do you feed all the T's on, as I guess they are meat eaters/insect eaters?

Rochelle is a Brazilian white knee who can be sweet as pie one minute and spider from hell the next
rochelle024.jpg

I knew there was a reason my adrenalin was pumping looking through those!! :shock: :lol:

They are so amazing! You have so many! :shock: I really know nothing much about them, I have heard some of the names before but that's about it - mainly due to the fact that I am ever so slightly, teeny weeny bit arachnophobic.... just a bit!! :? :lol:

So, two questions.... why can I only see two eyes on each of them, I thought they had 8, or are they minuscule?

Second.... what is the small hole/dent on the back of their abdomen/thorax? - apart from the horned one of course! :lol:

Thea & Bobbin:
their eyes are very tiny but you are right there are 8 of them in a little cluster on top of the carapace.

The dent you see in the carapace has a special name but I forget what it is!:lol:

BB Mommy:
Mostly tarantulas kept as captived will be fed on meal-worms, crickets (black and brown) and locusts. Though they will take dead meat, this isn't really recommended as a regular diet (if ever my snakes refuse a feed there's always a tarantula on hand to eat the mouse).

CottonMather:
I've had no luck with pokies so there is no way I'm spending £90 on a tiny spiderling only to have it die a few months later.:lol:

Tinsel:
Padge the tree frog was discovered in a packet of Tesco washed and ready to eat salad, I kid thee not!

Amy & Amber:
though Greeta has the run of my room she has never wandered off the shelving unit. I think it's thefact she can see the other animals moving around in their tanks that keeps her there.

Just to give you an idea of the size of Tyree the boa here's a cutie pic of him when I first bought him. This is one of my friends having a wee shot...

He was so cute and tiny.
jenny_tiree01.jpg

I remember heading home on the train and he was curled in a ball in the corner of his carry case peering over his coils at me. Looked like he was scared out his wits.

Now he doesn't have much to be scared of, here's a photo taken a month ago of him on the arm of another of my friends (a friend I happen to think is rather lovely ahem :love:)...
andy_s_tyree06.jpg

Here's him with me
me_tyree001.jpg

Back