• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Surgery in the same place

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
How does it effect things? If Charlie is to have this abcess removed again it will be in exaclty the same place. Very close to his lip. The vet was a bit unsure as in there wouldn't be too much free skin to close up with. What about scar tissue? Is that an issue? He only had it done 4 weeks ago. I'm really undecided what to do. With the antibotic injections and daily cleaning it actually feels like it has gone down a bit rather than grown.

I would rather not go for removal again until I know what the x-rays show up. Because if removal is a waste of time and it will be back for whatever reason then its a pointless exercise. But if it can be removed and it isn't in his jaw then he's got to go under again. I lay awake at night thinking about it. Its driving me nuts.

Hi why don't you get some high strength manuka honey and start packing it in to the wound every day.Its brilliant for some abscesses.I think I posted on your other thread

I am going to buy some as soon as I go into town. :D It sounds very handy stuff. The only down side is I'm not sure how you mean 'pack' is that just putting it in the open wound? And the hubby says won't that attract bees? :roll: Thought I'd better ask that one before he brings it up again.

When you clean the wound get some manuka honey and get as much as you can and put it in the hole.I would try and do it a couple of times a day.Get the highest umf manuka you can find 25+.You can get it in Holland and Barret its quite expensive.Has your vet changed your antibiotics from baytril to ceporex as Its better at penetrating the skin?I doubt very much If the bees will be attracted to it as its such a tiny amount.I never got a problem with bees when using it.

I can stand testament to using manuka. Peppermint has a jaw abscess and had major invasive surgery earlier this year. I initially used UMF 15+ and filled the cavity with it, but now I've switched to using UMF18+ tube manuka. I ordered mine online but you can get it in some branches of Holland and Barratt. I also bought manuka dressing to help keep the manuka in the cavity. I also used a couple of herbs as complementary support to go with the antibiotics. The vets have been amazed at his recovery. It has been labour intensive for the last 3 months, and the abscess fights back occasionally, but nothing on the scale of the original and so far, very manageable. Peppers needs no pain relief at the moment, is on antibiotics ( probably for the rest of his life) but he is bright, happy, tears round the place like the other buns and is still very much enjoying life.:D At one point I didn't think he'd make it to see another summer and it's been lovely seeing him enjoy the garden in the sunshine. I would really give it a go.

Hi maizy do you mind me asking which herbs you use?

I used Birch and white willow. Birch has anti-carcinogen properties and white willow bark contains salicin a natural pain killer ( what todays aspirin is based on).

I used the birch as the xrays Peppers had initially in January, when his abscess started, showed abnormal bone development. The vet couldn't be sure this wasn't a cancer causing the abscess, as it was not teeth related. I checked with the vet that the birch and willow had no contra-indications with the anti-biotics and if they were happy for me to give it. The vets were all for me giving it a go. Certainly had nothing to lose and everything to gain.:D Although I won't be so bold as to say he's out of the woods, he is manageable and I am just taking it a day at a time and enjoying him having a good life for as long as I can.:D

Thank you I'm a great believer in herbs,another similarity between us,Maizey had chronic snuffles and I managed to stop all the symptoms using herbs.

If charlie has surgery in exactly the same place yes scare tissue may be an issue the thing is if there is not enough excess skin to stitch up properly then it may pull leading to infections and longer healing times.
as for the scare tissue it will take longer to heal again putting the rabbit more at risk of infection and obviously servere infection can lead to septiceamia-see what the vet suggests-is the bunny old? as you know there is a higher risk during anaesthesia in rabbits than a cat or dog including risk og gut stasis and hypothermia and the more anaesthetic the more risk also due to the way the toxins in the anaesthetic is metabolisedby the liver and kidneys.

Thank you I'm a great believer in herbs,another similarity between us,Maizey had chronic snuffles and I managed to stop all the symptoms using herbs.

Aww that's brilliant.:D Forgot to say as well, Peppers did have a 3 day course of echinacea just to give his immune system a boost as he was recovering, but he only had this once. :D

Aww that's brilliant.:D Forgot to say as well, Peppers did have a 3 day course of echinacea just to give his immune system a boost as he was recovering, but he only had this once. :D

Maizey had echinacea as well as a few other herbal remedies in the potion that I gave him for his snuffles.I really think we are long lost twins:love::love:

Back