• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Thirsty Bunny?

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
I keep an eye on the amount my bunny drinks and during the night last night she's drank more than normal. Normally by the morning she has drank, but this morning there's about 150ml gone from the water bottle. It was warm last night, but I don't know how warm really coz I was asleep. She's going to the vets next week to get a jab so if she's still drinking a lot shall I mention it to them?

It certainly wont hurt to mention it, has she had a course of panacur at all?

she hasnt had anything. She's only about 3 and a half months old so I've only had her just over a month. She always goes for the fresh water when I change it on a night just never normally that much

:wave: hiya, is she weein normally?. you need to watch out for dribbles cause thats what shauny had (whilst drinkin loads) and it turned out he had a urine infection, and then second to that g-stasis occured.
x

She seems to be, she's not had a problem controlling herself at all. She stays out in my room a lot of the day but she's still going back into her cage and using her litter tray as normal. She's eating okay and acting totally normal. Just drinking a lot :S

Mention everything you are concerned about to the vet as if she need antibiotics she willprob not be able to have her vaccination!

Hi Steph, just wanted to say hello from a fellow middlesbrough dweller :wave:, my bunnies can go through phases of drinking a lot and then I worry that they arent drinking enough, but if you are worried enough to raise it here, I would certainly mention it to your vet, after all it cant do any harm to mention it.

glad there's someone else from Middlesbrough! :D
She hasn't really drank a lot through the day so I think my room might have just been warmer than usual last night, I will mention it when she does go for her jabs as soon as we can get booked in though :)

Hi Steph, only been on this site since March but its really nice to see someone else from Middlesbrough. Lilly is gorgeous by the way, two of mine are black and white, they arent quiet as fluffy as lilly though. Is Lilly your first bun or have you kept them before.

She's my first. I got her and her sister at the same time but I had to rehome her sister as they started to fight, and when I tried to rebond them they just kept going :( Her sisters had to be kept alone as she refused to be bonded with any other rabbits.
I'm hoping to rescue a neutered male once Lilly's old enough to be neutered as well though :d
I can't believe how lovely they are to keep though, even if a little destructive!

Yeah know what you mean but wouldnt swop them for the world though. Ive got four they are real characters. There is always people of here trying to rehome buns, so you could get a lovely husbun for Lilly, and they can organise bun runs too, which is a bonus. If I get any more then I will get some rescue buns as they definately deserve a second chance, saying that though, a colleague at work her bun recently had 7 buns and she keeps sending me pictures, if it wasnt for my other half I think I would take them all, but he made me promise that I will wait to expand our bunny family until we have sorted the garden out, so working on that at the mo and then it will be bunnies galore.;)

awwww I'd take them if I could too! Not that I have the space! We can only keep them upstairs coz we have cats that like to hunt. One of them started to drool when he saw Lilly and her sister as babies!
I'm just hoping Lilly isn't like her sister and would take to being bonded with a male, I'd hate her to be alone with nothing but a loud cockatiel for company when I'm not around :(

All though Im no expert, but from what I can gather bunnies generally prefer to be in group, so I would image that you should be able to bond her at some point, some a harder than others but I think perserverance is the key.

She's really friendly, she's not shy or anything so I'm hoping it will be okay. Wish there was a rabbit rescue in Middlesbrough!

I know there is the rspca in great ayton which is not too far away, and there is some form of rescue in eaglescliffe, but Im not sure of its whereabouts, but rabbit rehome is a good place to start and sometimes they will deliver or people on this site can help, but if I was you I would wait until you are completely sorted as bunnies although not expensive to keep arent cheap either, and there is nothing worse than over committing yourself, particulary when you are studying etc and you have to start worrying about jabs and neutering etc. Mine cost me a fair portion of my monthly salary, and you have to treat them like children if you want to go away you need to spend time finding a competent boarder etc and that in itself is a complete headache, thankfully I have now found someone, but until then I hadnt had a holiday for well over a year as I didnt trust anyone to look after my babies in the standard they were used to. Family's are great but they cant commite the same as a paid professional.

I'll be waiting until Lilly has had jabs and been neutered before I do start seriously considering getting another. But I already don't get to go away because of my cockatiel, she hates everyone so no one else can handle her if I'm not there :cool:

Back