• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice, separation of rabbit and guniea pig..

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
..okay so i have separated my rabbit and guniea pig...

The rabbit has been in for neuter today and the guniea pig is now in a new hutch on his own. I do not intend on putting them back together either. But i am at a loss as what to do with the Guniea pig...?

I have two other female guniea pigs, but am wary of getting him neutered? Thoughts anyone?

Or i could rebond him with his brothers? If they were given enough space would they be okay or is it not worth it if they just fight? (reason for separation in first place)?

Or do i try find a new home for him?

Were at a loss......any advice?

:)

Glad you have seperated them, its probably for the best :) As for bonding him with your females, this would be fine if he was neutered. My mum fosters guinea pigs for the rspca and they generally get neutered so they can be rehomed with females. I know people say its risky but mums never had any problems with any of the piggies and they seem to pick up quite quickly :) Hope this helps a little. Im sure he'd live very happily with your females :lol:

Not sure about the males... i know alot of males fight anyway unless again they are neutered. Good luck!!! :)

..okay so i have separated my rabbit and guniea pig...

The rabbit has been in for neuter today and the guniea pig is now in a new hutch on his own. I do not intend on putting them back together either. But i am at a loss as what to do with the Guniea pig...?

I have two other female guniea pigs, but am wary of getting him neutered? Thoughts anyone?

Or i could rebond him with his brothers? If they were given enough space would they be okay or is it not worth it if they just fight? (reason for separation in first place)?

Or do i try find a new home for him?

Were at a loss......any advice?

:)

i doubt you will be able to get him back with his brothers - almost impossible to bond adult males. why are you wary of getting him neutered? Vets are gaining experience in this all the time - it used to be virtually unheard of. Choices would be, get him neutered, get a very young baby male for him for company or keep him on his own.

I have had several male pigs neutered over the years as they have come in to me and then bonded them into my group of males and females. I think if they have enough space and its done gradually and carefully its possible. obvisouly its easier to bond a male to females, but i have bonded adult males successfully. x jess

Okay so if i get him neutered do you think he will be okay with my girls?

Im wary i dont know why. I guess just dont want to lose him!

If he is neutered would my girls be okay? They arent spayed...

xx

if you're wary of getting him neutered try him with a baby boar..but you will have to keepo them away from your sows or the scent of them could cause a fight between the boys

Thanks.

Were not really wanting to get another GP. Although i wouldnt rule it out. We have decided to get him neutered, i just need to find a GP savvy vet...Anyone know one?

Were currently looking for a female partner for our housebun. So would much rather bond the male GP with my females..

Can i just ask does anyone have a GP that lives on its own?

xx

I wouldnt keep a piggie on its own:(,i used to have a neutered male with 4 females they got on great:) Ive now got 4 girls together and 2 un neutered boys together the boys get on fine:)

Back