• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should I get another rabbit

silverfox

Warren Scout
I have just been out and fallen in love with a little baby rabbit. He is a white lop eared boy and lovely. I have 2 rabbits together a boy and girl and I dont know if they will take to one another, they are babies also. Or move out my little girl and put her back in the hutch with the guineas where she was in the first place, she is only a tiny rabbit so kicking is not a problem and she plays outside with them. What I want is to have a rabbit ready so that when my 5 month older rabbits bits have been done he will have a friend but up until then he cannot have anyone with him as he humps them. Should I get this other one or not I really want him, but I cannot buy anymore hutches as I already have three large hutches in my garden. Can anyone help me make up my mind.

I have just been out and fallen in love with a little baby rabbit. He is a white lop eared boy and lovely. I have 2 rabbits together a boy and girl and I dont know if they will take to one another, they are babies also. Or move out my little girl and put her back in the hutch with the guineas where she was in the first place, she is only a tiny rabbit so kicking is not a problem and she plays outside with them. What I want is to have a rabbit ready so that when my 5 month older rabbits bits have been done he will have a friend but up until then he cannot have anyone with him as he humps them. Should I get this other one or not I really want him, but I cannot buy anymore hutches as I already have three large hutches in my garden. Can anyone help me make up my mind.

How old are your 2 rabbits together?
If they are bonded you should NOT seperate them.
And definately do NOT under any circumstances but her with your guinea pigs.

Id say if you have no room to keep this new rabbit you want seperate from the others, then do not get him.

They are 12 weeks (girl) and 11 weeks (boy), they are definately bonded. I was advised that the guineas and the baby could go together, I know about the kicking and it would only be short term until I buy an indoor cage. My guineas are used to rabbits and I do have them in the garden when playing in a large puppy playpen. I wont chance it though with the older rabbit as he is too big and boistrous.

When I got them there was guineas and rabbits together in the same cage and the lady gets them use to each other young. I would'nt think however of putting a bigger rabbit with guineas. (I just thought while they was small)

I am pretty new to all this and any advice would be welcome. I am following up more with books and using this site as most of my other information came from the person I got rabbits and guineas from.

No rabbits and Guinea pigs should NEVER be put together, there is more reasons than just violence. If you rabbit binkies, and kicks her legs out behind her she could injure, break back or even kill the guineas.

I would book your boy in for a neuter in about a weeks time as im sure you do not want any unwanted babies!!

Thanks for telling me, I am just waiting for my money to come through and then I hopefully will be getting both of my boys done. I dont want any baby rabbits but I dont want them unbonded.

I wont be putting my guineas with any of the rabbits, thanks for that advice.

However I still want a friend for my 5 month old, I was going to have his bits done and wait for about 8 weeks after, then taking him to a rescue centre to see if he will take with a rescue rabbit. Would this be better?

Just to say that I phoned the lady about the rabbit and because I really did love him but did not have the hutch space, she has told me that she will sell me an indoor cage for £20, she usually sells them for £50. Because I wanted an indoor cage anyway I have said yes. This means that I can have him, he will not be with the guineas and I now have the room.

Just to say that I phoned the lady about the rabbit and because I really did love him but did not have the hutch space, she has told me that she will sell me an indoor cage for £20, she usually sells them for £50. Because I wanted an indoor cage anyway I have said yes. This means that I can have him, he will not be with the guineas and I now have the room.

Where are you going to put your female when your male is neutered?
He can still be fertile for 6 weeks after the op.

I can deffo afford to get another, more than anything I think they are worth the money. I have always said when it comes to food in the house, kids come first, pets second then me last. I dont think it costs that much maybe around £40 per month that's all 7 pets including my dog.

I think it costs more in time, that I have plenty of as I am on call everyday for my eldest son who is disabled and my second son is going through that. I also find that my sons are more loving and willing to help than a normal child. It gives them something to love.:love:

The male that is to be nuetered will be kept in an indoor cage, we were advised that he could not regulate his tempreture for a while so to keep him indoors. He will be kept on his own for at least eight weeks.

Back