• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urine Scald?U/D vets tomorow. u/d BACK!

Mazda

Warren Veteran
i think pebble has urine scald. I just put her on her back to try and clean her bum as it is mucky, well its very pee stained. :( and i looked at her legs and they are all pee stained but looked red aswell. Is this urine scald?

Will it be sore?
what can i do to make her feel better?
Shall i take her to the vets? tho mum wont beleive me and will tell me im over exagerating.

Edit: she sits in her pee all day aswell :roll:

thanks im pretty worried. xox

Last edited:
Do you have a any sudacream in, it's for nappy rash it will dry up the sores and a bit of cornflour to dry up the wee. Do you think she's weeing more than usual?

umm, i dont thinks shes weeing more than usual. :?

I think we have some sudocream. ill hunt for it and put it on her legs. What if she licks it of, will it be ok?

The best thing to do is to cut or clip the hair around the scalding area, rinse the area dry the bunny thoroughly then apply a barrier cream such as dermisol.
make sure you keep the rabbit in for a few hours after bathing toprevent hypothermia

Can you put some megazorb (or similar) in her litter tray, this will help to absorb any urine, I tend to put a bit of hay over the megazorb so they don't eat it.

Mine only usuallly sit in urine if they are feeling under the weather.

Thanks Deb :D x

Can you put some megazorb (or similar) in her litter tray, this will help to absorb any urine, I tend to put a bit of hay over the megazorb so they don't eat it.

Mine only usuallly sit in urine if they are feeling under the weather.

hmm... i use woodshavings in her tray. which is pretty absorbant. with hay on top.

Pebble has always sat in her tray alot ever since i got her. :?

Tinkerbell sleeps in her litter tray quite often, even though she has free range of the house.

I'm lucky though that she hasn't ever got urine scald though she has got a very thick layer of hay in her litter tray, maybe that keeps any wee away from her?

Hope she gets better soon.

Tinkerbell sleeps in her litter tray quite often, even though she has free range of the house.

I'm lucky though that she hasn't ever got urine scald though she has got a very thick layer of hay in her litter tray, maybe that keeps any wee away from her?

Hope she gets better soon.

i do put lots of hay in her tray. But she digs it out of the corner where she wees :roll: :lol:

thanks guys. :) Could i 'bathe' her back legs to get the urine off? Im worried about her licking/eating sudo cream.

My buns gets urine scald every now and then. She has it at the moment I have washed her off today and applied sudocrem and she's looking better this evening. She doesn't seem to lick the Sudocrem off, or you could try vaseline I've used that before as well. Hope she gets better soon :wave:

i would get her to the vet hun, when Honey come to me she had urine scald & because of that she landed up with bad abbesses on both of her hocks, Plus her private parts was all sore & scabbed up, & when it gets to that, the vet bills are very pricey.
If she is sitting in wee most of the time then this is the next stage, i used to use sudo cream but you really need to wash the wee of her & dry her well.
Can you call the vets & ask them?
I wish you well hun & its great that you are asking on here to find out what to do.
Good luck xx

I have used sudo cream on one of my buns when she was a bit sore underneath and it worked really well. I find carefresh or megazorb so much better than wood shavings. It definitely keeps the urine away from them if they are inclined to sit in their litter tray.

Please find a way to take her to the vet - although you might be able to make it less sore at home in the ways suggested, you won't be able to solve what is causing it to be like this in the first place. It's not normal for buns to get scald like this, even if they do sit in their litter tray!

What and how much do you feed her? From your sticky bum comments it sounds as if you need to take a look at her diet too.

At the moment she must be at incredibly high risk of fly strike - they are attracted to wet and/or stuck poo and she has both! Please make sure you check her bum really, really regularly - healthy buns should be checked twice a day so hers will need checking more - and if you ever see fly eggs or maggots there, you absolutely must get her to a vet straight away, otherwise she will die in great pain.

Hope she gets better soon xx

Last edited:
I too hope this little Bunny can be seen by a Vet ASAP.
Its good that you are asking for advice re the urine scald. But just treating that isnt enough. You need to try to find out why your Bun cant keep herself clean. By nature Bunnies are very clean little animals and so a Bun that is constantly wet and pooey has a problem that needs investigation and treatment.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on

hi :)

She doesnt have wet/sticky poos. Her poos are fine :) its just the wee. thats all on her bum. I tried to clean her bum, with wipe from pets at home that i have but she got very grumpy and started lunging are growling everytime i got near her. :( shes sort of forgotten that now! :lol: Her diet i think is fine, she has plenty of hay, about 20/30 pellets a day. and veg once of twice a week. (tho she is picky with veg)

i will try and clean her up a bit today, but she will hate me! she hates her feet or legs being touched. its a nightmare to get her nails trimmed. xox

hi :)

She doesnt have wet/sticky poos. Her poos are fine :) its just the wee. thats all on her bum. I tried to clean her bum, with wipe from pets at home that i have but she got very grumpy and started lunging are growling everytime i got near her. :( shes sort of forgotten that now! :lol: Her diet i think is fine, she has plenty of hay, about 20/30 pellets a day. and veg once of twice a week. (tho she is picky with veg)

i will try and clean her up a bit today, but she will hate me! she hates her feet or legs being touched. its a nightmare to get her nails trimmed. xox

It is still very important to find out why she is constantly wet with wee as it is not normal.
If she is sitting where she wees it may be due to her having some spinal/hip discomfort
If she is actually leaking wee she may have a bacterial infection or it might be a symptom of a neurological problem resulting from EC.

It really would be in her best interests to be examined by a Vet as whilst you are doing your best to clean her up that is only dealing with the symptom not the problem

Back