• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need some help with a quote

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
I just got a quote for Charlie to have his x-ray done on his jaw and they have included removing the abcess again. I want to figuire out what is ONLY needed for the x-ray to be done, I'm undecided on whether to go for surgery again so soon after the last op.

The quote reads as follows (minus the prices of course)

Domitor injection
ketaset injection
metoclopramide injection
metacam injection
vetergesic injection
first x-ray exposure
additional exposure
mass removal surgery
theatre materials
suture material monocryl
intravenous catherisation
antisedan injection
general anaesthesia
hospitalisation
metoclopramide injection

So apart from the obvious being mass removal and sutre material what is only for the abcess removal and what is for the x-ray? Thought I'd stretch your brains you experts, I've got two screaming kids here who will automatically start fighting the moment I phone the vets. :roll:

My guess is obviously first and additional xray, GA, and probably the Domitor, ketaset and antisedan injections are all that are needed without the surgery for the abcess removal. And depending on how well he recovers from the GA, hospitalisation. Although my vets only charge for hospitalistion if they stay in over night and that is unlikely after just an x ray.

I am only guessing about the injections as my vets doesn't break it down so much, but the first to are related to a GA and the last one reverses the GA from my understanding.

If he has the abscess removed he will need everything on the list :D

Domitor injection-a sedative drug
ketaset injection-is an anaesthetic drug when used with domitor
metoclopramide injection-to help metabolism
metacam injection-a non steroidal antinflammatory drug
vetergesic injection-an analgesic painkiller not generally used in rabbits
first x-ray exposure-first film
additional exposure-additional film if needed
mass removal surgery
theatre materials
suture material monocryl-a stiching material generall vicryl or catgut is used
intravenous catherisation-don't no why they are putting a catheter in maybe due to anaesthetic risk
antisedan injection-an anaesthetic reversal drug
general anaesthesia-to maintain the anaesthetic throughout the procedure
hospitalisation
metoclopramide injection-charged you for this twice

I have noticed that there are no injectable antibiotics on this list?

Hope this helps

Is it worth having a chat with your vet so you can tell him your concerns? I can fully sympathise with your plight. I made the decision for Peppermint to have a second surgery after the initial abscess removal in January and he ended up having a 3rd very invasive surgery about 6 weeks later again. He is nearly 5 and I'm not sure how well he would come back from another surgery given his age and that the last one did seem to knock him sideways. Really wish you well and hope Charlie can fight the abscess. They really are such vile things. Good luck.:D

Back