• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rescue rabbit?

deez

Warren Scout
i joined yesterday to do a bit of research, as we are thinking of getting a rabbit.
i was gonna ask what breed would suit newbies, as i think i would prefer a smaller size BUT after searching on threads- i have been put off from buying from a pet shop, as they dont seem so clued up and would like help after i bring bunny home- which is why i'm so glad i found this forum!
so, it looks to me that there are an AWFUL lot of rabbits in rescue, and there are some at out local rspca- which is bryn y maen branch.
it seems they prefer company, and there are bonded rabbits, and a few single ones.
eventually my questions- are rescue rabbits ok for a newbie? and should i be looking for a bonded pair? would it make them more secure in new enviroment- or get a single, with the thought of getting another later on?

I think a bonded pair of rescues as long as you have decent sized accomodation (a shed/plasyhouse/ or 6 foot hutch and run combie - see Happyhutch company).

A bonded pair will already be friends and already neutered so it will take the stress out of neutering and match making for you.

I prefer not to have Netherland Dwarfs (small rabbits with tiny up ears) as I have heard they nip more often than other bunnies but Nethie owners might know different. I have no experience of them myself.

You will find this forum very helpful. I joined the forum before getting my rescue bunnies too.

Good luck
Rabswood

:wave: Hi deez. We've had 3 nethies in all none of which nipped or bit but our dwarf polish did. Our lionhead does when she gets over excited and mistakes your hand for food! but our dwarf lop doesn't bite at all.

The only difference between them is that the non biters had a lot of handling from very young, so maybe having very young ones will be better than mature bunnies? What are other peoples experiences?

Whatever you decide please let us know and show pickies!!

If you approach a rescue they will be able to find you a nice gentle pair in good health which are very suitable for newbies. That way you do not have to go through the stress of having them neutered (which you will do if you get from a petshop) and they will also already be bonded.

Don't forget all the private rescues as well as the rspca

I think you should contact a rescue and talk to them about whether you can provide a suitable home or not. eg check what their hutch requirements are etc. They will also provide you with a lot of information about how to care for your rabbits, all you have to do is ask. You might want to pick up the RSPCA book on rabbits too, lots of great info in there :)

RSPCA book at Pets@Home

I have 3 nethies and none of them nip!

Good luck with your search - rescue bunnies are definitely the way to go!

i think everyone is differant on breeds im a dutch fan and they are either the freindlyest of buns or terrors, i would visit many buns in a rescue as there are so many avantages, neuters jabs, and carers are able to tell you if they would be suitable for you, for example a nippy bun would be given to someone with more confidence in handling as with animals they know if you are not confident and will freak more so as buns realistcally dont like being picked up, i have two male dutchies who absolutly love snuggles but the girlie i have will come to me when im sitting on the floor for some rubs she doesnt like being picked up, and you need to be confident really in picking so you are able to do checks etc good luck in your search lets us know what you go for :D also another tip is to let the buns come to you they are naturaly curious but if they like you you will getting a better bond i feel

A ready bonded pair would be perfect. Any breed would be fine except long haired I'd say as they take a lot of grooming.

I have 2 nethies and they have never nipped :)

Go along to a rescue and meet the buns, she which ones you fall in love with. Be warned bunnies are addictive!!

Go along to a rescue and meet the buns, she which ones you fall in love with. Be warned bunnies are addictive!!

yush they are i only started looking for a wife for biggles currently i seem to have 9 :shock: though 4 are foster ones :lol:

A good rescue will help you find the perfect rabbits for your circumstances and will help you find the best accommodation for your rabbits. They will also grill you!! :lol: to make sure you are going to be a suitable bunny owner! :D A bonded pair is the best option.

Back