• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pregnant bun trashing her cage,why? U/D..she seems so distressed!!!

**lexi**

Warren Scout
As i posted last week i have just taken on a gorgeous pregnant bun....as she was already pregnant when i got her im not sure exactly when she is due...ive estimated roughly that she will be due in the next week,because when i palpated her i could feel the kits (so i think)...i felt 2 or 3 grape size lumps on her right side,and iv read that you can only feel the kits between 10 and 14 days so that would work out anytime between now and the middle of next week.
I put a nest box in for her last night,but when i got up this morning she had trashed her cage the nest box was upside down,her food was everywhere and it was a complete mess...shes still at it now,she wont leave things where i put them,whys she doing this? ive never seen a bun do this before!
Oh and some name suggestions would be good too as we still havent named her,shes a grey french lop :D

Last edited:
my does doin this at the minute.perhaps she wants things her way.x

Hi,is youre doe pregnant? im just a bit worried that when she has the babies she will toss them out of the nest box or something :?
hopefully she will have calmed down a bit by then!

Hi,is youre doe pregnant? im just a bit worried that when she has the babies she will toss them out of the nest box or something :?
hopefully she will have calmed down a bit by then!

Last edited:
Lexi she is just hormonal
And do be careful who you take advice from as some people on here are not the "responsible" breeders they like people to think they are..some even breed from sick animals:cry:
also be careful who you let have the kits...as same applies
Cashmincal and Walnut Earth are two breeders who come on here who will give you good advice.
Good luck

She is definately just being hormonal, nothing to worry about and Jill as given very sound advice.

Agree wholeheartedly with Jill. Look for past threads on pregnant does with GOOD advice from EXPERIENCED and RESPONSIBLE members :D

Hope she's ok, by the way.

Most does trash their hutches, it either means shes due soon or it means shes missed and wants mating. If you think she might have missed then wait a month after getting her to be certain.

Please don't attempt palpating her again - done by the inexperienced it can damage the kits, even i won't attempt it and i've been breeding 14 years. It could have been poohs in her bowel or undigested food you felt anyway - its all the same region.

Has she had a litter before? Most does won't make a nest until about an hour before giving birth. Also she'll go off her food a few hours before birth so that would be a sign to look out for.

If she does chuck them out of the nest you need to rub your hands in her dirty corner to get her scent on your hands before touching the kits. If you can have a very quick peek in the nest once born, normally I wouldn't recommend this but in this weather you have got to check for dead kits and remove them - otherwise the maggots will get to them and eat the other babies alive :cry:

If you need any other advice feel free to PM me.

Most does trash their hutches, it either means shes due soon or it means shes missed and wants mating. If you think she might have missed then wait a month after getting her to be certain.

Please don't attempt palpating her again - done by the inexperienced it can damage the kits, even i won't attempt it and i've been breeding 14 years. It could have been poohs in her bowel or undigested food you felt anyway - its all the same region.

Has she had a litter before? Most does won't make a nest until about an hour before giving birth. Also she'll go off her food a few hours before birth so that would be a sign to look out for.

If she does chuck them out of the nest you need to rub your hands in her dirty corner to get her scent on your hands before touching the kits. If you can have a very quick peek in the nest once born, normally I wouldn't recommend this but in this weather you have got to check for dead kits and remove them - otherwise the maggots will get to them and eat the other babies alive :cry:

If you need any other advice feel free to PM me.

Hi,thanks for the advice....i dont know if shes had a litter before as we only got her last week....and she is pregnant for sure...im sat with her on my knee now and can feel the babies moving around :)

Also I like how the comments have been ................... - if you have nothign to be ashamed of why delete your posts? They have all been quoted anyway :lol:

Back