• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need advice quickly please!

Cookie&Twix

Alpha Buck
I have just gone outside to groom my lionhead doe (she's maulting and beleive it or not, has allergies, so I like to help her shed her fur with a good brush) when I noticed she smelled a little. So I do a bum check and find she has a messy bum. I think it is cecals all stuck to her fur around her bum. I have had her for over 2 years now and she's never had this issue. What is the quickest, easiest way to clean her bum for her? I have got as much off with a towel as I could for now.

I shall be taking her straight to the vet tomorrow as she is due her myxi jab anyway, but get a check on her teeth ect. I don't want to stress Twix out any more than necessary as although she is tame, she gets stressed easy with too much handling.

I think people use baby wipes or rub cornflour on, it then becomes easier to rub off- I'm not 100% sure on the method. Triple check that there are no fly eggs or maggots as I have read some awful posts about this recently.

Baby wipes if you have some to hand. I have also heard of the cornflour but never used it.

If it is particularly bad, I use Johnsons small animal shampoo with warm water and use cotton wool pads wrung out so they are damp and wipe the area gently and dry off with dry ones.

Make sure you take extra precautions and thing about applying some Rearguard.

Thanks everyone. Twix was much cleaner this morning when checked over by the vet. As per usual, nothing much was found, she thinks Twix is feeling a little under the weather so isn't eating her cecals. The vet thinks her breathing issues may be pasturella, but did no tests and offered no treatment :censored:, although she did give a jab to help settle her gut back into a normal pattern.

I think it is time I found another vet. No myxi jab today as they wanted to allow her to feel a little better first, plus I need to take them both, so they go next week. Thankfully my beautiful girl is acting perfectly normal, eating, drinking and hopping around happily enough (or maybe not so happily if the feet flicking was any indication :lol:). For now I have removed veg from the diet completely and cut back on the pellets, they have unlimited supply of hay and always have access to the garden/grass. I will groom & bum check her everyday. I also plan on adding pro-biotic to thier water

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Homer's tum is a little like this at the moment, not too bad though. I am giving hime some Fibreplex (you can order off internet I think), not the full dose, just one third of what they recommend and it seems to be helping.

My vet could see nothing wrong and put it down so far to a heavy moult. Going back next week anyway for another dental so will review then if still having to give Fibreplex.

Twix is in the midst of a very heavy moult too, so maybe that is what it is? Between 3 of us this morning, the vet, the assistant and myself, we managed to pull out enough fur to look like another rabbit, lol! Poor girl looks ever so skinny now (she isn't, she just has very dense fur)

Back