• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding my bun buns with a dog

Sho87

New Kit
Hi Everybody

I am gonig to be moving in with my boyfriend in a few weeks and he has a yorkshire terrier named Bobby that will be moving in aswell as my Charlie and Trixie. My bun buns have free reign of my house only going in there cage for bed time. Bobby and the baby's have never met and I am not in the least bit scared that he would hurt them, but what I am worried about is that he can get over excited and that he might scare the bunnys.

I want to start introducing them soon so that when we do move in they will be completly used to each other. How do I start to introduce them?????

i would start by putting buns in cage but with few hidey holes boxes or tunnels etc and allow dog to look and sniff at cage.... i would never let dog and buns together un supervised as natrual instinct could kick in at any time. also then try letting dog on a lead in house with buns so you can stop him if he tries to go for them....slowly increase the time allowed out.

I would advise the following tips:

• Make sure each animal has his own area in the house where the other is not allowed. A 'safe' zone
  • Let them settle in to the new home before you introduce them to other animals
  • Muzzle the dog on their first encounter and have him on a lead at the same time
  • Never leave them together unattended
  • Don't expect the rabbit to get used to a dog quickly. They are naturally prey/predators of each other.

When we had cats we were cautious too and never ever trusted them alone with the buns unsupervised. Just wasn't worth the risk and heart ache.

Thanks for the tips guys

I would never leave them alone together, as much as Bobby is a softy I wouldnt trust him for a second with my babys on their own.

I will let you know how the bonding is going

Back