• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

angry neutured bun

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
why would a neutured bunny be angry and aggressive??

Star my sister and neices bunny is so aggressive, he lunges and growls all the time :?

she handles him alot but hes so angry?

my suggestionw as to neuter him...but 6 months later hes no better!

Who handles him a lot, your sister or your niece? How old is your niece?

Sounds to me like fear aggression - he needs to re-learn that people are nice and won't grab you and cuddle you, in much the same way as that terrified one you asked about the other week.

Who handles him a lot, your sister or your niece? How old is your niece?

Sounds to me like fear aggression - he needs to re-learn that people are nice and won't grab you and cuddle you, in much the same way as that terrified one you asked about the other week.

hes not like them,they were petrified, he isnt, hes very confident, and he jumps up on my bed and lies down next to me, but as soon as i touch him he grunts and growls. she does handle him properly as far as i know because i have showed her, but i then i guess i cant know what goes on behind closed doors.

he doesnt seem to be afraid though

hes not like them,they were petrified, he isnt, hes very confident, and he jumps up on my bed and lies down next to me, but as soon as i touch him he grunts and growls

Yeah I didn't mean he's necessarily afraid, I just meant that you'd pretty much use the same technique as the other one to 'retrain' him. It just sounds as though he has maybe had a bad experience with being handled and has his boundaries, and he has learnt that he can make you 'back off' by growling and grunting. Or he could just be an old grump - but you should still be able to improve it by patient use of techniques. Have you tried bunny massage? I've often found that works wonders with bunnies who don't like being touched, once they get over the initial tenseness, they discover it's quite nice!

alvin boxes, growls and lunges when im doing something he dont agree with :love::love::love: i adore his spirit :lol::lol:

I have two NZ whites that I had adopted from sooz that are evil they sit at either side of their run or hutch and both attack from either side.

Yeah I didn't mean he's necessarily afraid, I just meant that you'd pretty much use the same technique as the other one to 'retrain' him. It just sounds as though he has maybe had a bad experience with being handled and has his boundaries, and he has learnt that he can make you 'back off' by growling and grunting. Or he could just be an old grump - but you should still be able to improve it by patient use of techniques. Have you tried bunny massage? I've often found that works wonders with bunnies who don't like being touched, once they get over the initial tenseness, they discover it's quite nice!

cant say i have, hes just boxed me and bitten me bcus i took his food bowl!

do you think boredom could play a part in it? im trying to set up some sort of pen in my room but its sooo small its v hard lol

My little nethie does this - lunging and growling - he's a right stroppy mare!
But equally he's easy to pick up and handle, likes his fuss (on his terms though), and is the easiest bun to give meds to!

I know he hasn't had a bad past as only I have owned him, and he's only started doing it in the last couple of years (he's around 5-6yr). It's just him:D

What breed is he? I had a Netherland Dwarf that behaved in the way you describe. We called him Malice and just acceptd it was his nature..

What breed is he? I had a Netherland Dwarf that behaved in the way you describe. We called him Malice and just acceptd it was his nature..

hes pb and j's son, dominos brother but domino is as placid as soppy as they come, so must be nuture not nature as they say!

I have a wee theory about animals changing after having an op, I don't know what meds are used, but i assume they are treated pretty much like humans, a seditive and a muscle relaxant. We often hear of humans being awake but not being able to mobve, and I wonder if this can happen to animals. Our old cat, Smudge was the most loving kitten, but from the day of her spey she has been really antisocial, I'm not saying would ever not neuter, but I do wonder if this could be the case for some animals changing behaviour after ops.

I have a wee theory about animals changing after having an op, I don't know what meds are used, but i assume they are treated pretty much like humans, a seditive and a muscle relaxant. We often hear of humans being awake but not being able to mobve, and I wonder if this can happen to animals. Our old cat, Smudge was the most loving kitten, but from the day of her spey she has been really antisocial, I'm not saying would ever not neuter, but I do wonder if this could be the case for some animals changing behaviour after ops.

hes always been like this!

not sure why, i think maybe my neice frightens him unintentionally, will have a little chat with her and see if shes goign wrong anywhere

x

Poppy was really aggresive when I got her...that was all down to fear, and being in a hutch, with bit more space and Gussy as a friend she calmed down right away :D

hes always been like this!

not sure why, i think maybe my neice frightens him unintentionally, will have a little chat with her and see if shes goign wrong anywhere

x

In that case it would suggest mishandling in some way. Does he usually bite or is it just because you have started to force the issue, so to speak. I often find aggressive rabbits get worse before they get better, they have learned that aggression makes people back off, and if you ignore that, the behaviour escalates before they realise it isn't going to make any difference. Kizzy our new rabbit bit me yesterday, because I continued to clean her toilet, ignoring her pouncing on me. I know she will settle down as time goes on, your problem is, Star will restort to this behaviour when he goes home as it works, regardless if you have time to make any changesto it.

he probably needs a friend but thats not ideal right now, especially as she wont get star vaccinated.

were getting him done in a few days, but im nt gunna help her get another one if she cnt jab star!

Oscar grunts, lunges and boxes at me all the time. He nipped me this morning, little beggar. He doesnt like me coming into 'his' run and hates bum checks.

He does love cuddles though, which is strange. I think its down to the bun myself.

He nipped me this morning, as i went to grab Polo... protecting her i guess. :roll:

Calel is like this. He was already neutered when I got him. He pretty much settled in for 3 weeks, had a full vet check to confirm no ear/back/tooth pain, got a girlfriend to make sure he wasn't lonely. Sat on my knee for cuddles/nose rubs - enough for me to think he loved me & what was all the fuss about (he came here as a aggressive bun), then Bam! He showed his true colours:lol:

He is territorial, so when I step into his area I am suited up - although reaching over & stroking his nose & hand feeding is allowed - as is stroking his back if he turns it towards me. Everything is on his terms though. I can't move fast & I keep my eyes down.

Are they snatching their hands away through fear? it's important that there's no sudden moves around him.

Calel doesn't act scared - he acts angry. But he's actually very intelligent - him & Treacle are two of my cleanest buns - always using litter trays & Calel needs a lot of distractions - toys & paper & he loves destroying things.

He's actually a very rewarding bun to have around. I have no intention of getting more permanent buns at the moment- but I would def get another aggressive one if I was:D

Back