• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fighting during bond

hayleyhelen

Alpha Buck
This morning I attempted to bond my 2 does, one buck, litter mates who have been seperated for a month following their spay. After 10 minutes the fighting started with the smallest female chasing and biting the other 2. After 30 minutes I had to remove the aggressive one as she had pulled a lump of fur out of the other female and left a wound which was red but not bleeding, its about the size of a 5p. I have read on here that if blood is shed then the rabbits will probabliy never live happily together. For now the buck and the doe fairly happy together, shes just a little jumpy following her earlier attack, and the aggressor is by herself.
Should I leave it a few weeks and try to bond the doe into the male/female pair (provided they get on) The females were seperated before their spey because of fighting which came from no where as their hormones kicked in around 4 months.

:wave: i have just bonded 3 - 2 of which defo wanted to eat each other through the bars first and did some chasing and bum biting but are now grooming lovingly! it depends on bunny personality too. was it neutral territory and did you do something like take them for a drive first?

I didnt want to take them on a drive by myself and my boyfriend is at work so I put them in the bath, the whole house is neutral really as they have only been in the kitchen and conservatory previously. They are outdoor bunnies and during their seperation they have been set up so that they can see on another and sniff through the wire of the runs. There had been some biting through the run between the girls but the submissive one (Samba) was so submissive that I thought when I did reintroduce them that after the initial squabble it would calm down. The aggressive one (Beetle) just wouldnt give in chasing and biting, then when she caused her to bleed I had to take her away.

Back