• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Had a bun come last wednesday..

Starlight

Warren Veteran
Staying here for 2 weeks while owners went away.
She is a fawn mini lop, but she is huuuugggge.
She even makes little nasal noises and squawks as she cleans herself.
Im going to print off a flystrike leaflet and explain why she is at risk.
Apparently their vets said she is very obese. Ive slowly been cutting her dry food down and giving her as much hay as she can eat with a bit of veg, but whether the owners will pick up where i leave off is anyones guess :(

now is this due to overfeeding? or due to lack of excersise? or health issues such as arthritus?... cuz in chelseas old age(she is 10.5) she has put on a bit as she isnt so active to combat this we cut her dried food down...then she stopped eating with myxi last year and vet said give her whatever she wants to keep her eating...once she started eating again and then got better we are back to cutting out her pellets again...but it is hard.... im sure they love her and want the best for her...chelsea is always rear gaurded so maybe they have already done this? i would also explain how much pellets she needs and how she would love more hay and more twigs and leaves and less carrot rememeber a lot of people still think carrot is good for a bun and not a food in moderation food type. thing is that we can all do with abit of advice along the way eh?! :)

now is this due to overfeeding? or due to lack of excersise? or health issues such as arthritus?... cuz in chelseas old age(she is 10.5) she has put on a bit as she isnt so active to combat this we cut her dried food down...then she stopped eating with myxi last year and vet said give her whatever she wants to keep her eating...once she started eating again and then got better we are back to cutting out her pellets again...but it is hard.... im sure they love her and want the best for her...chelsea is always rear gaurded so maybe they have already done this? i would also explain how much pellets she needs and how she would love more hay and more twigs and leaves and less carrot rememeber a lot of people still think carrot is good for a bun and not a food in moderation food type. thing is that we can all do with abit of advice along the way eh?! :)

I think it is due to overfeeding as she gets a full bowl every day.
They do really love her though so i know it is not intentional and they must just not have had the right advice, Ill give her a leaflet ive got about the RWF feeding as it has info about the "hay and veg diet" with a small amount of mix.

I think it is due to overfeeding as she gets a full bowl every day.
They do really love her though so i know it is not intentional and they must just not have had the right advice, Ill give her a leaflet ive got about the RWF feeding as it has info about the "hay and veg diet" with a small amount of mix.

sounds like a freindly approach is best... you could give her somethign to measure the amount of pellets in for example dora and arthur get a shot glass in morning and one a night of ss.... it helps cuz when you say...grammes... well it means nothing for me!! they need a portion guide!! lol and could see if they can get her runing around more? or for longer? glad you helping them sounds liek its a sweet bun x

I have always had rabbits and it was not until last year when I took one to the vets that I was made aware that they should only be eating one egg cup full and unlimited hay.

I think it is just a case of pointing this out to her.

It's almost more difficult with an owner who loves their animal so much that they show it by feeding, or over feeding them.
My mum and dad have always had porky dogs 'cos they overfeed, and it doesn't matter how many times you tell them that they're killing the dog with kindness, they still over feed.

The gentle approach is always best though as people tend to stop listening once they feel they're being lectured to.

Back