• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mounting behaviour in 6 week old babies?

i think males can be fertile from 8-12 weeks
(tho not sure) so i would seperate them from the girls at around this age...i could be completly wrong tho as no expieriance of babes.

I would separate boys from girls now. I had to separate at about 6-7 weeks due to that happening and i did so because i didn't want to risk any pregnancies at all even though it was unlikely it felt better to prevent even if there was a chance of it. If the kits are still with the mother then i am not sure what you can do. I'm just going by my one experience.

They are still with mum, but they live in a little commune with an aunt and an older sister. The mounting behaviour is towards the younger siblings all six weeks.

They are still with mum, but they live in a little commune with an aunt and an older sister. The mounting behaviour is towards the younger siblings all six weeks.

i dont understand? the mum is mounting the babies? or the aunt and older sister is? or is there more than one litter? confused sorry.

Thing is if it was time to take away from the mother then all you'd have to do is put them in separate hutches, girls & boys. I do believe that the humping in your case is not for reproducing but just what rabbits do. My spayed females, one of them starts humping and it sets the others off. Obviously nothing is going to happen as they are unable to have kits but they still do it for some reason (not constantly now they've been spayed).

My suggestion would be to wait until you feel all the kits are eating and drinking on thier own and are ready to leave mum and then separate them by gender. I'm sorry if this isn't much help but it's all i can give.

from my experience - at that early age they dont really know what they are doing, i guess its like natural instinct and could also be dominance within the litter. i separated my babies from 8 weeks old (as long as they are fully independant) although it is highly unlikely they will successfully mate until weeks later.

At that age Id say they were just practicing for adulthood. AS long as theyre not mounting their Mum whom I assume hasnt yet been spayed then you should be ok. check to see if their testicles have decended into the scrotum. As soon as theyre there you will have to remove the boys

Back