• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best hay for mini-lops?

I'm not 100% on this but I don't think mini-lops particularly need a specific kind of hay, and just the same hay as other buns is fine :)
I get mine from a horse place in a big bale, rather than a wee packet from a pet shop, it seems to taste nicer (tho it's not me who's been tasting, you understand :lol: ), anyhow, it certainly smells nicer than pet shop stuff, and the buns love it :D
Hope that helps :oops:

You can provide any good quality hay to bunnies, no reason why mini-lops would be any different to dutchies or any other shaped bunny.

However, where a bunny may be more prone to dental problems, I will always give them a courser hay such as timothy and rye (which I get by the bale and is grown locally) It's very stalky and takes quite a bit of effort for the bunnies to get through. Most of mine prefer it to the meadow hay, which I get from the same farm.

Mini-lops have been bred to produce a particular flatter head shape and it therefore follows that they are thought to be more likely to have some dental issues, along with other lops and dwarfs. I would just ensure that your mini has unlimited hay and if possible make sure that the stems are not chopped (as you get in shop bought bags) but are long and stalky. This will give your bunny's teeth a real workout. But, it isn't so important, just provide good hay and you'll be fine.

Back