• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No water, thanks!

Marreline

Warren Scout
My rabbits don't drink!! They've recently gone in together and when separated pre-neutering both would drink but now they are together...??? Do daily water changes and have bottles in the run and the hutch (combo) but from what I can see they remain untouched day after day. They had their jabs last Friday and I discussed this with the vet - she wasn't at all concerned as she says they're eating a varied diet of fresh veg daily and they will be getting a lot of water this way. She was very reassuring and said I had two lovely healthy rabbits so I'm not overly concerned but isn't it a bit weird??!! :roll::?

You could try adding a wee bit of fresh pineapple juice to encourage them? Or give them boiled water cooled down a bit so they can drink it warm - they are supposed to like it?
I guess wild rabbits don't drink water, just get it from the plants they eat?

do they graze on grass? and eat plants flowers and veg ? our chelsea is like that doesnt really drink but she gets plenty of moisture from grass..you could try watering the grass before the bun is let out and wash all greens before they get given them so are extra juicy?!!!

Since my rabbits switched from hay to mostly fresh grass they don't really drink at all. If they eat lots of fresh greens then I wouldn't worry.

Mine go through phases, sonetimes drinking quite a bit and other times hardly anything. Doesn't seem to be linked to temperature or amount of fresh veg either. On the other hand they could be stealing the cats water in the kitchen!

Surprised they don't drink more. They must run out of saliva with the amount of grooming they do!!!
Thanks for all your replies and advice. Glad to see we're not alone!

Back