• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help- How to treat bite wound

hayleyhelen

Alpha Buck
Today I have been attempting to rebond my 3 litter mates, 2 does and a buck following a month of seperation post- spay. They girls had to be split up before there spay because they were fighting. They have been living in seperate hutches and been able to see and smell each other through the runs every day. Ive put them altogether today in the bath, after the first 10minutes of disorentation the fighting began and now one has left two mouth sized bite wounds on the others back. It is very red but there is no bleeding. Can I treat this wound myself- with salt water perhaps or should I visit the vet? I have removed the aggressive rabbit. Would a trip to the vet mean too much stress for one day?

Hi,i would clean it with salt water.If the skins not broken it should be okay bathing it.Keep an eye on it though it doesn't get any worse or you,d better take her to the vet.Hope all goes well x

If it is not too bad you could treat it with some diluted hibiscrub (very cheap and can get from chemist - expensive from vet!).

If it is quite a bad bite then I would suggest that you take him/her to the vet to be on the safe side in case it needs any injections to prevent infection.

I have made an appointment with the vet just to be on the safe side, it has broken the skin but and is very red but it isnt bleeding. I now fear that I will have to rehome the other one as I only have room for big hutch and I really dont want to have one living alone.

Hi if the skin is broken it's best to go to the vet in case a wee antibiotic is needed.You may be better starting another thread for advice on bunnies fighting to see if they can be bonded.All the best.Oh it could be their hormones are still in the air and will take a few weeks to die down

good ole salted water is best and if its nasty inflammed osmetimes they give you something called dermisol or dermasol cant remeber how to spell it.its a cream and it eats away at dead tissue basically..bif had nasty nasty bites from willow like grazes than bites fur all gone had to have bathing antbx and this cream...the bits get more and more so you need to seperate them tillt he wounds have healed then slowly do it...for a few minutes a day upwards...its not worked with wilow and bif since they unbonded but bif and bandit are now a very loved up couple..very much loved up....and he had many many bites off her shes a right bully!:lol:

dont panic..i never even found most of the bites until theyd scabbed over:shock: its very hard with abun to see w hats a nip and whats an actual bite when theyre bonding..but id say god ole salty water or hibiscrub solution and if you get given derm wotever keep it..it helps until you get to the vet but then again what happens when like me you dont spot the bites:oops::shock:

good luck im sure itll be nothing as no blood was dripping etc

no offence meant but sometimes buns react to you being nervous..you could try taking them to a profeesional bonder at a rescue? it may be less stress ful? also some people find a car journey first with all in same carrier calms them and gets the bond started? good luck hope the bite isnt nasty xxx

Back