• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Guinea people!!

Starlight

Warren Veteran
I need to have a "nice talk" with a man on the internet, advertising 7 week old rabbits and saying ON the ad they can live with guineas, i emailed him saying they can not incase he had miswrote it, and this is what i got back:

yes they can, i have 7 adult rabbits, 5 new 6week old babies, 8 gunieepigs they all share cages together VERY HAPPILY, the only time you dont have them together in a cage is when the females are having babies.

I know someone did a very nice detailed post about the difference in food, communication etc, but i can not find it.

Can someone tell me it in depth so all aspects of why not are covered.

Cheers.

Last edited:
rabbits can pass on pasturella to ginuea pigs.
the dietry needs are different due to the vitimin c that piggies need.
the pigs are a lot smaller than buns and so many end up with back problems, dead or injured accidently by a bun jumping around.
rspca advises against housing the two species together.
they are two different species and communicate differently so its not fair as cant talk to each other properly.

It's bordatella not pasteurella...can be fatal to piggies.

For me one of the main reasons is simply that rabbits have very big, strong back feet and they can easily kill or seriously injure a piggy by accident, especially if suddenly startled, even if they do seem to get on well mostly. A number of rescues would be able to tell you horror stories about this.

The other time I would absolutely be mortified is if an unneutered male rabbit was kept with a piggie - they could harrass the poor thing to the point of terror. Again, rescues have taken on pairings where they've been told that they 'love each other' but it is abundantly clear that the piggie is terrified, and flourishes when they are separated. Maybe this chap mainly has youngsters together so these problems are less likely.

I am sure there are cases where they get on fine, but that doesn't mean that it should be actively recommended (bit like there are probably loads of smokers who never get lung cancer, but that doesn't therefore mean you should encourage people to smoke!)

It's bordatella not pasteurella...can be fatal to piggies.

For me one of the main reasons is simply that rabbits have very big, strong back feet and they can easily kill or seriously injure a piggy by accident, especially if suddenly startled, even if they do seem to get on well mostly. A number of rescues would be able to tell you horror stories about this.

The other time I would absolutely be mortified is if an unneutered male rabbit was kept with a piggie - they could harrass the poor thing to the point of terror. Again, rescues have taken on pairings where they've been told that they 'love each other' but it is abundantly clear that the piggie is terrified, and flourishes when they are separated. Maybe this chap mainly has youngsters together so these problems are less likely.

I am sure there are cases where they get on fine, but that doesn't mean that it should be actively recommended (bit like there are probably loads of smokers who never get lung cancer, but that doesn't therefore mean you should encourage people to smoke!)

think this is the email to send!!! sorry thought it was the other one...either way the buns can pass on nastys to g.pigs and need to be kept seperate for health reasons

HEy all you guinea people,

She replied to me saying this

thank you kristine, i did not know they can catch anything from the rabbits, books tell you something different and show you them together in cages, i seem to have a problem with my pigs at the moment, no no illnesses, first its my adult female when she is in the cage with her now grown 8mths baby girls, she tends to bully them because they seem to make crying noises when shes in there, second the same issue but with dad with the boys, i have heard them chattering on their teeth, any advice please, thanks teresa. also as i have a large number how can i have them checked at home to make sure they are healthy and homed correctly, thanks, teresa.

Anyone know what she is talking about :?
If so what can she do

Cheers

Thanks Nix, i emailed and she now says she will seperate, however i need someone to decipher the email she just sent me !!(in my last post)

if her male pigs are chattering their teeth then she needs tio seperate them ASAP as this is the first indication that serious problems are about to start...it begins with chattering and ends in serious fighting and can lead to the death of one or more male pigs...once they start its horrific.

If the females are squabbling it's likely they do not have enough space or they have health issues.

also i have seen pictures of serious facial injuries on a rabbit whose piggy companion of several years suddenly attacked the rabbit....the rabbit had twenty odd stitches in its face...for these reasons alone the buns and opigs should be seperate and the male pigs should not be kept together among the females..the males could be paired together but this is hit and miss...some males live happily together but others end up fighting.

she can't really have them checked at home unless healthwise she calls out a vet...but if she had dione proper research before getting them and putting them all together they wouldn't be in this mess now. if they occupy one large space then she needs to divide it as soon as possible before some of the animals badly injure or kill each other.

Last edited:
You've done well there to get her to listen, often they just tell you to **** off :lol::lol:

I'm afraid I'm at the end of my piggy knowledge though.

Any idea what size accommodation they're in? Maybe they just want to get away from each other a bit more :?

*waits for people like SarahP and Elve and various others who actually know about piggies to come along*

if her male pigs are chattering their teeth then she needs tio seperate them ASAP as this is the first indication that serious problems are about to start...it begins with chattering and ends in serious fighting and can lead to the death of one or more male pigs...once they start its horrific.

If the females are squabbling it's likely they do not have enough space or they have health issues.

also i have seen pictures of serious facial injuries on a rabbit whose piggy companion of several years suddenly attacked the rabbit....the rabbit had twenty odd stitches in its face...for these reasons alone the buns and opigs should be seperate and the male pigs should not be kept together among the females..the males could be paired together but this is hit and miss...some males live happily together but others end up fighting.

Ouch! I will tell her about the chattering, any idea what she means about the girls?

You've done well there to get her to listen, often they just tell you to **** off

I'm afraid I'm at the end of my piggy knowledge though.

Any idea what size accommodation they're in? Maybe they just want to get away from each other a bit more

*waits for people like SarahP and Elve and various others who actually know about piggies to come along*

I know i was quite proud of myself for getting her to take it on board let alone listen :D

That's a really great link, thanks for that! It's a bit like the piggy equivalent of the language of lagamorphs.

Oh dear... this person doesn't sound too knowledgeable about dominance issues. The teeth chattering is worrying but it's difficult to know what they mean by the female bullying, since it always happens to some extent. Does sound like a space issue.

Oh dear... this person doesn't sound too knowledgeable about dominance issues. The teeth chattering is worrying but it's difficult to know what they mean by the female bullying, since it always happens to some extent. Does sound like a space issue.

Doesnt help that they say they are "a breeder"

Back