• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My buns home

Etha

Young Bun
I have this area outside that is fenced in around a tree that my Nomaru runs around in and hangs out in all day (heres a pic, ignore the bikes haha)

PHTO0013.jpg

But that is only during the day, in the night we put him in a cage that isn't too small, but its no huge thing either...we kinda feel bad for keeping him in there but we don't have anywhere else he can go..

So what we wanted to do was buld some kind of hutch area maybe in the corner or something of his pen that we can lock him in at night and leave it open during the day (cats go crazy around here at night and I just don't want anything bad happening)

cool for wanting a bigger space for him. rabbit hutches should be minimum 5ftx2ftx3ft or equivalent to 3-4 bunny hops wide...a bunny flop in depth and height is a bunny standing fully upright... i would use a hard wood to make it and put a nice felt room on it. make sure that the mesh on the door is galvanised steel and that you put bolts and padlocks on it... if you are worried about cats then you could try making a lid for his pen? tho not sure how easy that would be due to the tree.... does he get free run time in rest of garden?

That looks like a very nice area for him to play in during the day :) He could possibly use some sort of sheltered area however so that he can hide away when he needs to. I'd also be a little concerned about the height of the fence, my rabbits could probably jump over that :shock: Perhaps some netting over the top would help keep him in and nasty things out :)

That looks like a very nice area for him to play in during the day :) He could possibly use some sort of sheltered area however so that he can hide away when he needs to. I'd also be a little concerned about the height of the fence, my rabbits could probably jump over that :shock: Perhaps some netting over the top would help keep him in and nasty things out :)

ohh definatly good points i agree with all of the above,

I do agre however he's been in there ever since he were a baby and he's never once tried to jump out and to be honest he's a little daft because he can deffo just crawl out if he wanted XD he doesn't even attempt to.

If something comes into your garden and scares him he would probably start to launch himself at the fence in a desperate attempt to escape. Mine did this recently when I had let them out, when someone they don't know came close to their fenced off area they went mental and started launching themselves at the fences, which are 4ft high.

He's never once done that, when he gets frightened though he will stomp and take off running around the tree and hide in the corners. Mostly because the dog next door is barking, but not at him. The dog next door will sit at the back fence and my rabbit will sit near him and they'll just sit there for hours XD not hostile towards each other at all (the neighbor dog is a 10+ year old female black lab)

However, I am thinking of adopting another bun, so I will have to find some fencing and cover the top, maybe over hand, and also staple the bottoms.

I think it is important to get him a wee shelter that he can hide in when its sunny.....

Lol we've been in the process of finding materals for it. We sometimes do sit hs cage out with a cover on top but most of the time we don't need to b ecause the tree that is over him is huuuge and very very shady.

Hi Etha :wave:

Welcome to the forum.

How old is he, he looks very sweet? :love: I was thinking, how about putting a small old cardboard box in his play area (one preferably without any metal staple fastenings). He could hide in it, climb it, drag it about, chew it, shred it. It could be lots of fun for him to play with, or you could even make a bunny cardboard castle for him:D

Back