• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buck/Buck pair or Buck/Doe pair

WalnutEarth626

Alpha Buck
I have a friend that wants to have a pair of my German Lop babies to live as houserabbits. I have 3 babies looking for homes, 2 bucks and 1 doe. Ordinarily I'd recommend 2 does that could live together and then be spayed and put back together - but obviously thats not an option here. Is it better for them to have a buck and a doe and keep them seperate until spayed/neutered and then rebond, or is it best to have 2 bucks that may well live together happily throughout the neutering as long as she has them done ASAP.

Any thoughts??

If she gets the buck sibling neutered as soon as his plums drop at 12ish weeks, she'll never need to separate.

Doe/buck is better. I think the risk of fighting in buck/buck is higher - & she'd need to get both neutered pretty fast then anyway

If she does not have any other Rabbits I'd say the two Bucks. Other Rabbits about, particularly Does could potentially cause a problem when they reach puberty.
She should be able to get them both neutered as soon as their plums drop.

I have never had a problem with keeping Buck littermates together

:)

Agree with Angie....male female pair is easiest...but a trio might be nice, and a male pair could work if they are neutered early enough.

Back