• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vacation Care Problem - Urgent U/D All ok-ish

huppie

Mama Doe
Dear All

I made the right decision to put Huppie into the hotel - my friend went away before the vacation and left his keys on holiday. He didn't get them back for a week and he probably wouldn't have paid to get entry to care for her! However, Huppie hardly didn't get any exercise because they only have outdoor runs and don't put the rabbits out when it is raining!!! Huppie got fat in just 10 days and has come back with lots of loose hair. She has been home for a week now and the weight has started to come off and her fur is slowly improving but it is a worry for next time!!!

Thanks for all of your help

Emma

Original email below:

I have no idea if this is the right place for this topic but I wasn't sure where to post.

I am going away for 9 nights next Monday and we have someone coming to look after Huppie. My friend has been before to care for her and it is ok but I am a fussy mum! He can only come once a day and there is nobody else that can do it. However she gets to stay in her own space and he comes for an hour at a time to play with her.

I am getting twitchy that this isn't good enough because of flystrike issues at this time of year and so on. The other option is to put her in a local rabbit hotel - there is a huge one that keeps a couple of cages free for emergencies - my panic would count as it is a week until I leave. The hotel would feed and water her twice a day. However, she would be in a small cage and get very little exercise and would not have any company.

Both said they would clean her loo everyday.

What do I do? I should really decide today to give everyone a week's notice of cancellation (my friend) and confirmation of booking (the hotel).

Help!!!! I have no idea what is best as neither are perfect.

Emma

Last edited:
i would leave with the freind my buns bums only get checked every other day for fly strike and have been rear gaurded to give me added peace of mind. being fed once a day is normal for her? or is she used to twice a day? i would leave her in her space as long as freind doees come every day thats fine xx

Hi!

If you are going away for 9 nights, then your bunny would have time to settle into a hotel, so that's a possibility.

However, I would imagine that your rabbit will be happier in her own space and it will probably be a lot less stressful for her. Is your friend willing to do a bum check?

When my friend goes away, her dad comes round to check her rabbits and feed them in the morning and I go round at night to do litter trays and make sure they're still OK. Maybe you could find an extra person to come at the other end of the day?

She is used to being fed twice a day and my friend finds it a bit of a drag coming just the once to be honest so more than that would be impossible. I spoke to him yesterday and he is said he is fine to come but there may be long gaps - he may come first thing one day and last thing the next day which is quite a while.

Does that make a difference do you think?

Emma

She is used to being fed twice a day and my friend finds it a bit of a drag coming just the once to be honest so more than that would be impossible. I spoke to him yesterday and he is said he is fine to come but there may be long gaps - he may come first thing one day and last thing the next day which is quite a while.

Does that make a difference do you think?

Emma

i would of said she was best kept in her own home to save her getting stessed from the move. But i think after what youve said above i would try and arrange for her to go to the bunny hotel :) she will soon settle in there especially if its for 9 days, and they know what theyre dealing with as its there job so she'll be safe. you could always call while your away to see if shes ok?? Bunnys are used to routine and your friend doesnt seem like he can give the bunny that :(

Depressingly I think you are right. Rabbit hotel it is - grrrrrr.

On the plus side she will still be getting better care than her previous owners gave her...maybe I am just fussy!

Thanks for the help.

Emma

I agree. I think your bun will be better in the hotel if your friend is unable to stick to a set routine. As you said, the gap between first thing one day to last thing at night the follwing day is much too long really.

yes if the friend cant ddo a regular thing then a hotel for buns may be best she will settle in im sure xx

On the plus side though - some of the bunny hotels ive seen advertised on the net look lovely :) the one sarah jane (XxmissysjxX) runs looks amazing :) Im sure bunny will love her holiday hotel as much as you enjoy your break :D

Back