• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nueter and speys

Hopper

Mama Doe
Ive just took a rat in for nuetering and asked about bunnies whilst there.

They wont nueter a male bun until 5 or 6 months old, same with girls almost at 6 to 7 months!!

I like this vet im using, just starting using them since had male mouse nutered there few months back as they vet is exerienced with this sort of thing and absolutly great. But im going to have to look around and somewhere fairly local as dont drive and have autistic son with travel problems. The vet also said £100 for a girl and £80 for boy. Is that average costs? I thought it sounded steep, but cost isnt a problem as I will pay anything.

The vet nurse said also that a nutered boy is fine in with a un spayed girl? That isnt right either? Though i dont generaly listen to nurses tbh, will speak to vet later when pick rattie up.

So any advice please, and any Nottingham recommendations of a vet that will nueter and spay younger. The thought of my 2 buns being alone for all that time worries me :(

Hi!

That does sound a bit dear. My vet charges £40 for a male and £60 for a female. They neutered Inky at about 3 months and Smokey was about 10 months but they would have done her sooner if I had asked.

You can have an unspayed doe with a neutered buck and they will be OK. However, the doe will get frustrated by what she sees as the bucks refusal to mate with her. Also, it's important to give the male a good 6-8 weeks after he's been neutered before intorducing him to a female, or you could have babies!

You can use this link to help find another vet: http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/system/FAVSearch.asp?NodeID=89660

Good luck!

Thank you.

6 to 8 weeks!! the vet nurse said 2 weeks! Thank god I use forums hey and always check with the real bunnie experts.

So if I can Oliver nuetered ealrier and after 6 to 8 weeks start bonding with female? or would it be better just leaving the bonding until the female is speyed? not sure if taking her out and getting her speyed would cause problems?

Thank you.

6 to 8 weeks!! the vet nurse said 2 weeks! Thank god I use forums hey and always check with the real bunnie experts.

So if I can Oliver nuetered ealrier and after 6 to 8 weeks start bonding with female? or would it be better just leaving the bonding until the female is speyed? not sure if taking her out and getting her speyed would cause problems?

2 weeks for hormones to settle....6-8 weeks for sperm to die!!! argh what would we do without ru hey?! also i would say it depends on the female but personally would wait till both done as females can be territorial and aggressive before spey...also it would mean when you take her to be done that they need to go together as if they are seperated once bonded you will have to start rebond from scratch x

It cost me £35 with rspca voucher at mapperley vets4pets and liz was briliant they are about 10mins on bus from town

I live 30mins from Notts and my vet spayed B at 5months and i believe bucks can be castrated earlier if their testes have dropped.

2 weeks for hormones to settle....6-8 weeks for sperm to die!!! argh what would we do without ru hey?! also i would say it depends on the female but personally would wait till both done as females can be territorial and aggressive before spey...also it would mean when you take her to be done that they need to go together as if they are seperated once bonded you will have to start rebond from scratch x

Yeh i did wonder if seperating after doe was speyed would me re bonding from scratch. I will wait until both are done.

Back