• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

sisters

alix2611

New Kit
i have been the owner of two giant rabbits who are sisters for about three years now but for the past couple of days one has been attacking the other by biteing her,they have always been the best of friends before now.does any one know why this has happened.i have seperated them for now.

have they both been spayed aswell, am not sure but if they not spayed they sometimes start to fight i think :?:)

no they havent i didnt see any reason to.i would be very interested to hear from any one who knows if this is the problem.so i can get it sorted asap.like i say they are normaly very happy and cuddly together i would hate to have to part them for good.thanks for your idea.

no they havent i didnt see any reason to.i would be very interested to hear from any one who knows if this is the problem.so i can get it sorted asap.like i say they are normaly very happy and cuddly together i would hate to have to part them for good.thanks for your idea.

Even if th fighting wasn't caused by hormones - if you have already separated it will be a lot harder to rebond unless the girls are spayed.

Does have an 80% risk of getting cancer too, if not spayed, & this is from 2-3 year old up. If there has been any major behaviour changes, that could be a symptom. I would get your girls spayed ASAP, wait for them to recover, then rebond on neutral terrtory

hi and thank you.i will get them to the vets tomorrow.they have only been seperated for about an hour so far so i hope they are ok when they meet again.they have the run of the garden so i guess they are use to not seeing each other for a while.they have been to vets several times for jabs etc i wish she had advised me earlier.anyway thanks for your help.

I have two sisters also and they started fighting at around 12 months so I had to have them spayed asap. They don't fight at all now.

My two bunnies are sisters and as soon as they reached maturity they started to irk one another. This lead to lots of stamping, fur pulling and general stroppiness but its something that spaying helped with. Like Angie mentioned though, the health aspects are a major reason to spay a doe but it helps greatly with bonding issues too.

Back