• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Injured paw?

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi one of my rabbits has been holding one paw close to himself and has limped a few times on it. when we try to check it he quickly pulls away and tries to jump away from us. We are unsure what is wrong as there are no in growing claws and when we took him to the vets the other day (concerning possible fleas) they didn't notice anything wrong.

I was wondering if maybe he could have just hurt it and that giving a few days it will be alright or should i get him to the vets right away? He is still walking about on it fine sometimes so this is why it is making me unsure.

Did the vet have a feel of the leg?

Sometimes they can just hurt it and it be sore for a few days.

If you are really concerned or it doesn't start to improve I'd take bun to vets.

There could be something stuck in his paw like a wee jabby bit from the hay or if he's outdoors a wee thorn or something.Could someone not hold him while you have a wee look so its easier for you?If you can't spot anything just watch it doesn't get any worse the limping etc.A vet trip wouldn't do any harm if you don't spot anything and it doesn't appear to be getting better.Keep us posted x

I did have a look at the paw today and it doesn't look or feel like there's anything sticking into it. Also when he was out with his brother and sisters although he did limp a little bit, i noticed he had been putting more weight on it. We have to phone the vet tomorrow anyway to chase them up on the advantage delivery as we've tried twice since last week and they've not had any in. So while phoning up about that we could ask about him. I keep thinking how he could have hurt his paw but i can't think of anything unless one of his siblings knocked into him and hurt it, in which case it shouldn't be anything serious?

When my bunny Star was little, she was limping, the vet shaved the fur on her foot and it turnt out she had a deep gash on it.

My little brother later admitted he may have shut her foot in the back door accidently :shock: Ouch

Ok we have noticed he has been putting more weight on it. Yesterday when we put him out he was running around ok and doing quite a few binkies. I guess it was just sore and now is getting better.

Back