• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would love to offer a buck bunny a home to live in - St Austell Cornwall

Hi,

We are looking at offering a loving home to a house bunny. We're not sure which breed would feel the most comfortable in our home. We have a two and a half year old son, so the bunny would need to feel comfortable around children. Ideally, we would like it to be toilet trained (but, we would be happy to do this given instructions!) and must be very tame.

I like dwarf, lop earred bunnies. Purely because they look cute, but really we would like your support and advice on which bunnies would suit our family the best. We live in St Austell, Cornwall.

Look forward to hearing from you:wave:

Hi,

We are looking at offering a loving home to a house bunny. We're not sure which breed would feel the most comfortable in our home. We have a two and a half year old son, so the bunny would need to feel comfortable around children. Ideally, we would like it to be toilet trained (but, we would be happy to do this given instructions!) and must be very tame.

I like dwarf, lop earred bunnies. Purely because they look cute, but really we would like your support and advice on which bunnies would suit our family the best. We live in St Austell, Cornwall.

Look forward to hearing from you:wave:

hi firstly and formost welcome .... get a rabbit from a rescue...rabbit rehome has a list of all rescues in your area, ideally rabbits should be kept in pairs...as they really like thier own company.... a lot of rabbits enjoy being stroked but many do not like to be picked up due to thier natrual prey status.... ensure you have the space for a rabbit they need as mucha excersise as a small dog... a 6x3ft hutch attatched to a 6x6ft run is about right size or if a house rabbit then a 48inch dog crate with attatched run or free range in bunny proofed room.
children are noutorious for getting bored of rabbits as they arent as cuddly as everyone makes out... so as long as you are willing to be the one who cleans and looks after the rabbit thats fine... also they live anywhere from 8-14years so be prepared for the commitment... also getting from a rescue saves you the cost of initial jabe(which are needed annually for vhd and 6monthly for myxi and the neuter(60-100 females...40-80 males) so think of how much you save and give a new bun a home... also if you see buns you like in a long way away rescue(see rabbits in need section) provided a home check can be arranged then a bunny run is likely to be able to go ahead to get them to you xx welcome to the forum its good you are researching and you will learn a lot on here xxx

:wave: Hello and welcome to RU :) The advice above is excellent. Good luck on your search for a rescue bun :)

Hiya :) welcome to RU :wave:

The advice above is fab, no matter the size of bunny it should have plenty of excersise space, also bunnies need to build up trust with you as they are prey animals.

I would be quite open minded about the breed as alot of it depends on the character of the buns (you may find a lionhead may steal your heart) but I agree, dwarf lop buns are usually very sweet. I would also look in Rescues, you may find a mix of breeds there but no less more loving and cute as any other pure bred bunny.

You may also be interested in mini lops, netherland dwarf's and lionheads (smaller breeds) which may be easier to handle, although most bunnies do not like to be picked up or carried and you have to be careful that your kids to not harm the bunny and understand how to treat them. They may also lose interest quite quickly.

But it shows you're doing the right thing coming on here, it's a great place for advice and help on bunny ownership - I hope this has helped you.

Enjoy your stay here - let me know if there are any probs :)

Hiya:wave:Giant breeds are probably a good option as they are too heavy for children to pick up and also as a housebunny they cant get in as many nooks and crannys.French lops are quite lazy in general[although B is mad,cos shes a small frenchie] so dont cause havoc jumping and bouncing off things-so it says in the books anyway!!:lol::lol:B was soo bouncy when she was younger we called her Tigger!!

Back