• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First timers to house rabbits!!

Hi,

As a family we would like to offer a happy home to a house bunny. I had rabbits as a child, but they were not house rabbits. Therefore, I would really appreciate some advice. We have a two and a half year old son, so need to find a rabbit who would feel ok about that. My son has cerebral palsy, so isn't into tearing around but he can be quite loud and falls over a lot. We wouldn't like to bring a rabbit into this environment if it wasn't used to it.

I have no idea which breed to go for, which age etc. I've done a bit of research and I we really like the butterfly french lop. I'm not sure if they come in different sizes, but we would probably be better with a mini version. I'm showing my complete lack of knowledge now, aren't I! We would be happy to rehome a bunny in need, but we would like it to be tame and an added bonus would be toilet trained. However, we would be prepared to train them ourselves, given the right instructions. Also, am I right in thinking that a buck is less trouble than a girl?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

hello and welcome :wave:
I have had rabbits all my life mainly dutch ones which i love as they are so sweet natured,and six weeks ago I got my first house bunny,a british Giant called Stumpy,he is even more relaxed than my other buns,lies down loads,even in the vets surgery floor!!He is not frightened at all by loud noises and is a very placid and sweet bun,I would definately recommend these two breeds,although there are many others,have you searched on Rabbit Rehome online?as a slightly older bunny would be best as the staff will know which rabbits had the best personalities http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=13274 or http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=13080

Last edited:
Hi, I am not an expert but these are my thoughts:

I wouldn't worry too much about the breed of your rabbit (I don't think that temperament is strongly linked to breed), but I would definately get an adult rabbit (over a year old) from a rescue. This is because the character of the rabbit will be settled by the time it is an adult, and the rescue will (should) be able to tell you "this is a placid one.. this one isn't", etc. Also, by the time the rabbit is an adult the rescuers will know which ones are good with their litter tray and which aren't.

As you will know from reading this forum, it is generally recommended to keep rabbits in pairs or more - a single rabbit is very likely to be lonely. If your son can be loud and falls over, I would suggest that the rabbits have an area that is theirs where they generally stay, and that once they are there they are left alone, so they feel safe. If they are not in this area they should be able to retreat to it at any time if they feel frightened.

I have house rabbits myself and cannot tell you how much delight they give me. It is lovely to watch them express their natural behaviour close at hand. I have four rabbits, each with distinct personalities and different ways of behaving to each other. I do highly recommend getting house rabbits. I have added this because I don't want to just give a load of negative-sounding things - house rabbits are fantastic. If you get half as much pleasure out of yours as I get out of mine you will be very happy with the decision you've taken.

Lucy

Hi and welcome!

From a personal point of view I have found that my mixed breed rabbit isn't bothered by noise etc but my Netherland Dwarf is much more highly strung.

I wouldn't worry too much about the breed of your rabbit (I don't think that temperament is strongly linked to breed), but I would definately get an adult rabbit (over a year old) from a rescue. This is because the character of the rabbit will be settled by the time it is an adult, and the rescue will (should) be able to tell you "this is a placid one.. this one isn't", etc. Also, by the time the rabbit is an adult the rescuers will know which ones are good with their litter tray and which aren't.

Great advice. ;) It's so hard to choose a suitable rabbit by breed alone because they all have their own personalities. I would definitely start by searching for some local rescues. :)

I previously had a netherland dwarf, which are supposed to be highly strung as the previous poster said, but he wasn't phased by noise etc at all - he loved the hoover and used to jump around over our two boxer dogs. :lol:

Good luck with your search. :love:

House rabbits are wonderful. Ive got 4 of the little darlings. I had no idea how much pleasure a housebun can give & will never be without a house bun again. I used to be a cat person & whilst still having 4 cats nothing beats my buns. Litter training was easy, just put the tray down where the bun likes to go & if they have an accident wipe it up & put the tissue or the poo into the tray, bun soon learns where he should be going. I agree with Crazybun. Get an older rabbit from a Rescue Centre in the long run it will save you money because it will vaccinated & neutered, not only that you dont have the worry of wondering whether they will survivie the aneasthetic & you will know if your bun is confident, likes a cuddle or a run around.
Good luck & enjoy your bun or buns

:wave: Hi there,

I agree with whats been said so far but just wanted to add that some bunnies settle in straight away and others take time, that is weeks, so be patient. I have found that its a good month before their personalities shine through. And then you spend less time watching TV and more time watching them ( in case they chew the wires, the skirting board, the sofa - only joking :lol: ).

Seriously my dwarf lop is sooo laid back about noise we are beginning to wonder if he has a hearing issue. Both our Nethies were chilled too.

Hope all goes well and keep us updated on progress, especially pictures.

Hi not that i'm trying to put you off rabbits but why do you want a rabbit rather than say a wee dog or cat?Do you want a rabbit that will sit on your sons knee for example to pet.A smaller breed may be best for this as they are lighter and might not be so heavy on his wee legs.You'd need to bunny proof your cables and know that they may chew on rugs or wall paper etc or pee here n there until litter trained.It's just patience and time.Can i just say that no matter what animal you get they will not mind that your son has cerebal pulsy,animals love who you are for who you are and for your son to grow up with a wee animal will be a wonderful experience.I have long term mental health problems and my animals have loved me and been their to cuddle me when some humans couldn't deal.They are amazing and certainly brighten up you life x

I agree that breed isnt a crucial factor as it's not linked to temperament in rabbits in the same way that it is in dogs.

Definitely get a pair as they benefit hugely from the company of their own species.

Most of all, do looooooads of reading - there are so many things to know about rabbits, I know I found out a lot by trial and error *after* getting my bun and I wish I'd read more earlier and done things right form the beginning. Have a browse through the forum or get a good book - there is a topic with recommended books on somewhere. good luck x x

Back