• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Near fatal End

Hopper

Mama Doe
I feel so dreadful. Poor Oliver was a few seconds away from being slaughtered yesterday.

We went to carnival yesterday, got home about 7.30pm. 1st thing I noticed was one of the dogs in front room, she had managed to pull handle down and ram door open :shock: 2nd thing I noticed was she was heavaly panting, not like her and it wasnt hot, thought maybe trapping herself in front room with no water made her thirsty. 3rd thing I noticed was what i thought was water/syliva drops on carpet, loads. I presumed from her panting. Next thing I noticed was Olivers cage bent and bust :shock: As i got on floor to examin it I relaised that actualy all over the carpet was blood!! I then clicked, OMG she has been tearing cage apart to get at Oliver. Bars bent, doors un bolted and lifted out loops. The side door she must literaly of done as half was opened and all she had to do n ext was nudge her head through and she was in :shock: I quickly got Oliver out and checked him over as blood everywhere! He was fine. The blood was actualy from my dog. Oliver has bit her little toe off, well half of it :shock::shock::shock::shock:

I cant beleive it, one or 2 seconds more and we would of had no more rabbit :(

I dont understand why? Tara has always been good with all caged animals here, not once shown agression towards the rabbit at all. But what ever triggered her change yesterday hasnt died down as she is still adament today. Im off to buy bolts for doors in the house, will block door with sofa when go out. All of a sudden she wants to kill my rabbit :censored:

Oliver isnt in the slightest bit phased or scared, tough we bunny.

I never expected this to appen. Why kis she ok with rats, cats, mice etc.. but not a rabbit??

:cry:

Oh dear :shock:

It's just their natural behaviour coming out I guess. She's probably quite mad about the whole toe thing now :?

No im not mad at her, I think its just her natural instincts coming out. Im guessing rabbits to dogs are more a hunting prey than any other animal? certainly took me by surprise and scared me as its out the blue.

Ive bought and added a good lock on the door now and bought extras for bedroom door as there will be times Oliver is up there.

Vet said taras toe is ok. Given anti biotics though as precaution. She said she is very lucky as where the part is bitten off she could of bled to death :shock: with the amount of blood on carpet im surprised she didnt :shock:

this is why i refuse to leave ralph in the house alone with the buns... they really cant help if instinct kicks in so i dont want to be responsible for possible deaths

really please your bun is ok :D:D

Awww how scary. One of my baby bunnies escaped into the garden some weeks back and usually as my dogs have been reared with bunnies they are fine.. but two dogs Oliver and Lola saw the bunny and grabbed it and it screamed and i thought it must be dead :shock: it was terrifying, my mum screamed at the dogs and they dropped it and it ran under the shed. There wasn't any injuries, the bunny was just shocked. But it was one of the scariest things, i felt so helpless standing there but too scared to do anything.

Glad your Oliver is ok.

You're lucky your poor bun didn't die of fright. No matter how trust worthy we think our dogs are their instincts are still there and you just never know,no matter how well trained they are, what might trigger something to cause the basic instict to the fore. I'm so glad that you got home in time.

When Tara 1st come here she was the same with my cat, would tear round the house after er and my hosue smashed up. basic training worked though and her and the cat are best of friends.

yet with rats and mice she is gentle as anything. Well the door is secure now and no way is she getting through the lock on that. Good job the cage is a good strong one Oliver is in.

God Lillian that must of been scary. It must be those with stronger prey drive I tink and when rabbits run they instincts of hunting kicks in. Some dogs have it more, I know tara does have some prey drive in her, Kye my other hasnt at all. Tyson my AB, no way is allowed around any of my smaller pets as his prey drive is high.

You're lucky your poor bun didn't die of fright. No matter how trust worthy we think our dogs are their instincts are still there and you just never know,no matter how well trained they are, what might trigger something to cause the basic instict to the fore. I'm so glad that you got home in time.

Yeh the rabbit was shut away in front room with door shut.

oh dear how scary and a lucky escape. I think because rabbits can be very active binkying and stuff it's more likely to kick in a dogs chase instinct.

No matter how trust worthy we think our dogs are their instincts are still there and you just never know,no matter how well trained they are, what might trigger something to cause the basic instict to the fore. I'm so glad that you got home in time.

Totally agree but am just curious , what breed is your dog? :shock:

Thanks. Oliver is fine :) running round room now and keeps jumping on my knee. loves kissing me :love:

Tara (my dog) is a staffie. Her paw is very sore with a open wound but vet said it should heal fine.

How scary:shock:
I'm glad Oliver is OK and obviously not too stressed out.
I'm glad you've posted this up though, 'cos lots of us have dogs, and two of my three dogs are excellent with the rabbits (3rd one still a pup so likes to play too much!), but this is a good reminder that no matter how good we think our dogs are, they still have their natural instincts and it is madness for any of us to 100% trust them with the rabbits.

I hope the naughty boys' toe heals soon!

Back